I rear ended someone in NJ 9 months ago

casey73

Hey all, I just have a question that hopefully someone can help me with so I can sleep at night.

I caused an accident almost 9 months ago, it was me and two other vehicles.

This is the report

DRIVER #1 STATED IN EFFECT: I WAS DRIVING NOT REALLY PAYING ATTENTION AND ENDED UP HITTING HER.

DRIVER #2 STATED IN EFFECT: I WAS TRYING TO TURN, WHEN I SAW THE WHITE TRUCK COMING UP BEHIND ME NOT
SLOWING DOWN, THEN HE HIT ME INTO THE LANE AND THE OTHER CAR HIT ME.

DRIVER #3 STATED IN EFFECT: I WAS DRIVING STRAIGHT WHEN A CAR GOT HIT FROM BEHIND AND PUSHED INTO MY
LANE.

I’m driver # 1 (that’s not what I told the cop, I took a double take at a vehicle at the other end of the intersection, I looked forward and slammed on the brakes but it was too late) regardless it doesn’t much matter in this situation I don’t think.

Driver #3’s insurance has already settled the issue.

Driver #2 how ever I have yet to hear anything from. They did get checked out at the hospital, though But there was no visible trauma, blood, broken bones, etc. hopefully they are ok and going in about their life.

The kicker is that I had the state minimum insurance, yes I’m a F#%[sup]*’$[/sup] idiot. I was young when I had the policy and never changed it just renewed the policy when needed.

My coverage is 5k liability and 15k bodily injury. I have since changed it to 100k and 300k, once I realized how this was going to impact my life.

Driver #2 has geico, but I have yet to hear from their agent, and my insurance has yet to hear anything either.

I understand the statue of limitation is 2years, but shouldn’t their insurance at least be in contact with me/my insurance?

Is their anything I can do to find out the current info? I have been trying to save every penny I can to prepare for the worst. At first I thought possibly covid had the insurance companies tied up and it was going to be slow, but is 9 months a bit of a stretch?

I’m having nightmares of a 500,000 k lawsuit. I haven’t even made that much in my life time. I understand it’s the consequences of my own actions, but I’m sick to my stomach every time I think about it.

@casey73 No one was taken by ambulance so there are no serious injuries, everyone has medpay in NJ, you’ve never received a letter of representation from a lawyer, if a lawsuit is filed your insurance will hire a lawyer for you, if the plaintiff wants any money from your insurance they will have to sign a release form to release you from any further liability.

I hope that helps

@casey73 They can ask for whatever they want but ultimately they’ll settle within your policy limits, and the other drivers probably have underinsured coverage too.

If you do get sued or get any letters from an attorney, do not talk to them, even if the letter asks you to call them, send any and all paperwork to your adjuster and let them handle it