Hit by a car on my bike - car’s insurance says I’m liable

@spencer5150 I’m usually against getting attorneys involved but this is a scenario where it’s probably a good idea.

Applying 70% fault to someone on a bike that got left-turned at an uncontrolled intersection is fuckin ludicrous. If that’s the company’s directive to their adjusters, that’s a bad faith lawsuit just waiting to happen.

@spencer5150 You could always try telling the adjuster that and see what happens. “How can I be 70% at fault when the driver was making a left hand turn across traffic? That’s not possible.”

If they double down on it, then yeah, get a lawyer. But they might work with you if you give a little pushback

@spencer5150 While I agree with your analysis regarding left turns, the bicyclist collided near the rear of the car. Left turning car was nearly finished with their turn when the impact occurred. Left turn liability will always be majority on left turning party, but I could see the bicyclist catching at least 10% liability for failure to maintain proper lookout.

@skikid52 But a bike isn't traveling at the same rate a car would be, and doesn't have features like anti lock brakes.

Seems reasonable that even with reasonable reaction time a braking,they could hit the rear.

@compwiz02 A bike has lower mass and carries less inertia, and a bike can stop faster than a car. We don’t have any information if the car making the left turn did so at a high rate of speed. To clear nearly the entire car save for the rear indicates the bicyclist failed to maintain proper lookout, which is why partial liability of 10% makes sense.