Getting completely f**ked over

cookingkay

Read edit at bottom.
I have Allstate Full coverage, last night i ran over a bucket on the interstate, it ruined my front bumper. i called and made a claim today, on the phone call i was being asked general questions. Mileage, model, extent of damage. i was not under the impression that anything was going to be taken care of on the phone, i was simply calling to see what i should do and if they would cover cost of damages. towards the end of the questions the lady randomly says “put your keys and title in the car, copart is on their way to come get it. “ Clearly me being taken back i said absolutely not and she replied “oh it’s too late for that, it’s been submitted”. Then she proceeded to say goodbye and hang up. My car is in perfect running condition, i told her multiple times that i am not a mechanic and i do not know the extent of damages. i did tell her it for a fact needs a bumper which i could literally pay for myself. Do i call my local allstate and try to get this reversed instead of the main number for the company? (which is who i am talking about). thank you!

🛑EDIT: THEY HAVE NOT ASSESSED ANY OF THE DAMAGES, THEY HAVE NOT SEEN PHOTOS OF THE DAMAGES, THEY KNOW NOTHING OTHER THAN WHAT I TOLD THEM OVER A PHONE CALL)🛑

@cookingkay Their system asks a series of questions (airbags deployed, leaning fluids, etc) and along with year, make and model have a prediction system advising if they believe the vehicle to be totaled. They’ll assess it at CoPart. If it’s repairable, they route to a shop. If not, they pay the total loss. Just because your vehicle runs does NOT mean it’s repairable. What is the age of your vehicle?

@cookingkay You hit the insurance jackpot

If they’re discussing totaling it after you hit a bucket

you either a) are getting paid the whole value of your vehicle instead of the direct damages the bucket caused

or

b) drive an absolute beater that would get totaled after hitting a $4 home depot bucket

which one is it? we can answer more if you give more

@mjb048 high mileage 2012 optima SX turbo, replaced motor, extensive maintenance. the bottom of my bumper broke, literally not bad at all. i have way too much invested for a damn bumper to total it😂

@cookingkay 200k miles on a ~15 model year old vehicle? good lord lmao. that’s an important detail we need to know to give a pertinent answer

if you want to keep it, tell them you want to do an owner retained salvage claim. make sure to review your state’s salvage title requirements before you do so

@mjb048 motors got 20K and i have so much money in it with aftermarket parts. which i know they do not care about, i just was simply calling to see what they’d do and she went ahead and totaled it without even telling me. she was simply asking general questions. (same ones as you)

@mjb048 i get that. is they’re anyway to cancel it and keep my title clean? or is that insane? lmao. i’ve clearly never done this before. could i fight the fact she submitted the claim without even telling me she was making one?