Trying to reverse car total decision

@sodomyslayer69 You can try to do whatever you like. Directly people who have a claim have a bad experience when they try to make up their own process.

Your carrier has multiple processes in place to ensure they are only paying for related and accurate damage.

Sorry.

@sodomyslayer69 First off, never use a preferred body shop. They're preferred because they use aftermarket or salvage parts and then skip on proper processes. The objective is to make your car look normal in the short run and generate a profit. They cannot guarantee that there is no damage that extends beyond the body and if they tell you there isn't, I wouldn't trust them. A front end collision or one that leaves frame damage are the worst types of accidents to be involved in. A front end collision may very well have caused mechanical damage that's going to appear later on and then cost you quite a bit to repair. But right now, it's in any body shop's best interest to take this as an opportunity to generate a profit. They'll know if they can do the work cheaply with aftermarket, salvage parts and then substandard repair practices. Your car only has to look good for a little while. Unfortunately, the insurance companies know all of this and I cringe to write this, but they're protecting you from future problems (and of course protecting themselves from fixing a vehicle that may end up with problems down the line). Cars are designed to sustain the damage so that the occupants don't. I know the mechanical aspects of cars and how just a little offset (bending) of the body can shift mechanical components enough to cause premature wear on them. Those will turn into expensive repairs for you.

Unfortunately, you probably will not get a replacement car for the amount that your insurance will give you. If you've invested in any mechanical repairs, or anything that will have increased the value of your vehicle, then you may be able to use that to get a larger check from insurance. Any car that you do get, be prepared to spend a bit more and get several very good mechanics to check it over. Even a dealer is a good idea in this case. Like if it's a VW, have a VW dealer check it over. They won't be able to let you know everything that could be wrong, but they'll be able to tell you if the car has had repair work (including body) and if there are things like corrosion on wires from water damage and also if you're likely to have to do major repairs soon. Worn out brakes can sometimes cost a lot. Other things won't be visible without major disassembly. If the current owner of a for-sale vehicle refuses to bring the car to the shops of your choice and let you meet them there, then that's automatically a deal to walk away from. Of course, you'd be paying for the inspections, but they're worth it since you could be saved from a disaster.

I can go into a number of expensive technical issues you may face if you repair your car now, but there's probably no need to. Just know there's a high probability that your current car will turn into a money put if it's repaired and that you'll end up with a sub-standard car.

Another tip when looking for a car. Ask why they're selling it. Look at their other cars (if they have any) and also look around at how they take care of their other possessions. If they seem to treat other possessions poorly, do you think they've treated their car well? Don't be afraid to walk away.

For now, just try to negotiate the largest check you can from your insurance and let the car be totaled. It's a tough decision, but I can tell you, having had much mechanical repair experience, that you're likely in for a bad time if you keep the car. It's a tough situation and I'm sorry you're going through it.

@lucyhooper I know someone with a F350 that was hit by a Miata in the rear end. Minor damage on the body of the truck but the whole exhaust system was ripped off the truck and holes through the mounting attachments and the exhaust manifold was ripped off the engine cracking the block. Fuel tank was bent and rear differential cracked.

Insurance totaled it.