Expat investment guidance

kifflom1

Hey folks,

I'm looking for some good guidance to navigate obvious loopholes or money leakage that I'm either probably falling foul, or at risk of.

Question: How should I be setup to
  • minimize brokerage fees - What brokerage would you recommend?
  • avoid the risk of being whacked by the IRS? - Should I change my portfolio to Irish/Luxemburg ETFs etc.?
Situation:
  • Making long term investments, a few 2-3$k a month into boring ETFs
  • British Expat, fully domiciled and resident in Qatar
  • Using eToro, with Seychelles account (I had this account for about 10 years, seemed smart to put money somewhere)
  • Splitting investments 1/3 SCHD, VTI, MTUM (US funds)
  • A little less than $30k today, way less than $60k that I understand gets the IRS interested

@sir_faith The UK's tax is high, but its really easy to manage if you are abroad:
  • As long as you have a contract/proof of residency overseas HMRC doesn't want to know anything about your foreign assets
  • UK income is easy to control and declare: rental income, dividends from UK companies etc.
  • To maintain it you spend less than 31 days in the UK on work / 90 days visiting as a tourist (ish)
By contrast I understand the US has some entertaining rules on non-resident aliens
  • 30% of dividends are automatically withheld from non-US Citizens when investing in US domiciled funds through brokers
  • If >$60k is invested and you die then your family has to pay US estate tax of 40%
An article I found with some info on these: https://www.thenationalnews.com/bus...ds-are-a-tax-danger-for-expatriates-1.1103326

@kifflom1 You could Invest in VWRP using Interactive Brokers. It’s a good global index fund that plenty of people recommend to move with the global market.

It’s in £ (in Ireland I believe) so you don’t pay any US related tax.