Classification of Pharma Companies

bbarb

I have tried to classify all pharmaceutical, healthcare and diagnostics companies in BSE 500 and Nifty 500. I have also included some new listed companies and some companies which are held by well know mutual funds which are not a part of BSE – 500 and Nifty 500. A total of 48 companies are classified below.

Pharmaceuticals – Pharmaceuticals are broadly divided into 4 categories. Biologics, Generics, API and CRAMS. Here is a simple explanation of what they are.

Biologics – A biologic drug is a product that is produced from living organisms or contain components of living organisms. For e.g. Vaccines.

Generics – Making medicine at a lower cost.

API – Active Pharma Ingredients. Raw materials for pharmaceuticals.

CRAMS – Contract Research and Manufacturing Services.

Generics – India accounts for more than 20 percent of global generics market. 8 of the top 20 generic companies are from India. Here are generics companies what they do and where they operate.

Domestic companies – Companies with more than 50 percent of total revenue coming from India

Abbott India – Women’s Health, Gastroenterology, Central Nervous System, Metabolics.
India – 99 percent

Astrazeneca Pharma India – Cardio Vascular and anti- diabetes.
India – 97 percent

Alkem Laboratories – Anti-Infectives, Gastrointestinal, vitamin and dietary supplements.
India – 68 percent. USA – 25 percent.

Eris Lifesciences – Anti diabetics and cardiovascular.

FDC – Ophthalmology, Gastrointestinal.
India – 83 percent, Rest of World 17 percent.

Glaxosmithkline Pharma – Painkillers and Anti-infectives
India – 99 percent.

Indoco Remedies – Stomatologicals, Respiratory, anti-infectives, gastrointestinal.
India – 70 percent, Rest of World 30 percent.

Pfizer Limited – Gastrointestinal, cardiovascular and vitamin and dietary supplements. India – 99 percent. Rest of World – 1 percent

Sanofi India – Diabetes, cardiovascular, anti-infective.

Exporting Generics companies – For ease of understanding more than 50 percent of revenue comes from outside India.

Ajanta Pharmaceuticals – Ophthalmology, Dermatology, Cardiology and pain management.

34 percent from India, 25 percent from Africa and 26 percent from Asia.

Alembic Pharmaceuticals – Cold and cough, gynaecology and urology.

India – 38 percent. Rest of World – 62 percent.
80 percent of revenue from generics. 20 percent of revenue from API.

Aurobindo Pharma – Hepatitis B, Gastro Intestinal, Kidney, Anti viral, anti infective, ADHD and anti-depressants.

USA – 48 percent, Europe 32 percent and India 12 percent.

Bliss GVS Pharma – Anti-malarial, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial.

Rest of World – 88 percent, India 12 percent.

Cadila Healthcare – 4th largest company in USA and in India. Pain, respiratory and Oncology.

USA – 49 percent, India 41 percent.

Caplin Point Laboratories – Oinments, creams and regular generic pharma.

Latin America – 80 percent. Others 20 percent.

Cipla – Respiratory, anti-infectives and cardiac.

Inhalers and Nicotex Market Leader.

6 percent domestic market share.

India – 38 percent, South Africa 20 percent and North America 20 percent.

Divis Labs – Pain Killer and Cough Suppressant.

Generics contribution – 50 percent.
API – 42 percent.

Europe 44 percent, USA 26 percent, India 12 percent and Asia 12 percent.

Dr Reddys Laboratories – Gastrointestinal, Oncology, Cardiovascular, Pain Management, central nervous system.
USA – 45 percent , India 19 percent
and Russia 10 percent.

Glenmark Pharma – Dermatology, cardiovascular, respiratory medication.

North America – 33 percent, India 32 percent, Europe 15 percent and Rest of World 15 percent.

IPCA laboratories – Non steroidal anti inflammatory drug, cardiovascular and anti inflammatory.

Generics 74 percent API – 26 percent
India – 49 percent, Rest of world – 51 percent

J.B. Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd – Gastrointestinal and cardiovascular

India 43 percent, South Africa 19 percent,
USA 11 percent.

Lupin – Cardiac, anti-diabetes, anti-infective.

India 33 percent, USA 35 percent, Japan – 13 percent.

NATCO Pharma – Oncology, international formulations.

India – 40 percent, USA – 42 percent.

Strides Pharma – Anti-infectives and gastrointestinal

North America – 41, Australia – 31 and Africa 13 percent.

Sun Pharma – Neuro psychiatry, cardiology, gastroenterology, diabetes and anti infectives.

USA – 38 percent, India 27 percent

Torrent Pharma – Cardiac, Gastrointestinal, central nervous system.

India – 46 percent, USA – 21 percent, Germany 13 percent

Wockhardt – Cardiac, anti-diabetes, anti-infective.

India 37 percent, Europe 32 percent, USA 19 percent.

Jubilant Lifesciences – A demerger has been announced which will demerge Lifesciences sector from the pharmaceutical business. Currently the company operates in radiopharmacy, lifescience chemicals and specialty intermediates. USA 66 percent, India 26 percent.

Unichem Laboratories – USA – 58 percent, Rest of World(except India) 39 percent.

API (Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients) – API’s take raw materials and create API’s which is sent to drug companies who make medicines from API.

Aarti Drugs Limited – Anti-biotics, anti-protozoals and Anti-inflammatory. India – 63 percent, Asia 17 percent, Latin America 10 percent.

Granules India – North America 49 percent, India 20 percent, Europe 18 percent. It operates the largest PFI(Pharmaceutical Formulation Intermediate) PFI is a stage between API and the finished product. Core focus molecules and Onco API.

Laurus Labs – India 48 percent. Rest of World 52 percent. API’s primarily for ARV(HIV/AIDS)

Shilpa Medicare – India 36 percent, Europe 24 percent, USA 21 percent. API’s for Oncology generics.

CRAMS – Contract research and manufacturing services. It is bifurcated into 2 parts – Contract manufacturing and development organisation (CDMO)– Making medicine for a limited time on a contract. Contract research organisation (CRO) – Company that provides support to the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device industries in the form of research services outsourced on a contract basis.

Dishman Carbogenics – India 1.5 percent, Rest of World 98.5 percent.

Suven Lifesciences – Europe 64 percent, India 8 percent, USA 6 percent.

Syngene International – USA 73 percent, Japan 5 percent, India 6 percent, Europe 14 percent.

Biologics -A biologic drug is a product that is produced from living organisms or contain components of living organisms. For e.g. Vaccines.

Biocon – The largest biologics company in India. Key products include Statins, immunosuppressants, anti-diabetic drugs and specialty enzymes. It operates in Biologics and small molecules(57 percent) , CRAMS (through Syngene 32 percent ) and branded formulations.

Advanced Enzymes – Advanced Enzymes is a research driven company with global leadership in the manufacturing of enzymes. The company caters to Human and Animal Nutrition.

Take Solutions – Clinical Research Organization assists biomedical companies through the drug development projects.

Hospitals – Healthcare expenditure has risen consistently over the past few years.

Apollo Hospitals – Occupancy Rate – 66 percent. Average daily revenue per occupied bed – 37200 rupees.

Aster DM Healthcare – 84 percent revenue comes from Middle East. Occupancy Rate – 62 percent. Average daily revenue per occupied bed – 59700 rupees.

Fortis Healthcare – Occupancy Rate – 68 percent. Average daily revenue per occupied bed – 44400 rupees.

Narayana Hrudalaya – Occupancy Rate – 59 percent. Average daily revenue per occupied bed – 26300 rupees.

Diagnostic Laboratories – Laboratories tests and diagnostic procedures are tests used to check if a person’s health is normal.

Metropolis Laboratories – Number of diagnostic centres – 109. Average mumber of daily patients – 26890

Dr. Lal Path Labs – Number of Laboratories – 200. Average Number of daily patients – 54400.

Thyrocare Technologies – Works primarily in B2B space. Thyrocare operates a fully automated diagnostic laboratory. Serves 200 client brands across 2000 cities.

Animal and Poultry healthcare – Hester Biosciences Limited is one of India’s leading animal healthcare companies and the countries second largest poultry vaccine manufacturer (after Venky’s).

Edit : Thank you for the Gold. Incase you want me to add any companies not in the list kindly write a comment below.

The full article is (includes some stats) https://cashcows.in/streamlining-the-sectors-pharmaceuticals-healthcare-and-diagnostics/

Incase you want to have a look at the other sectors you can find other sectors here.

IT, Telecom, Hospitality, Logistics and Media and Entertainment – https://cashcows.in/streamlining-th...tality-logistics-and-media-and-entertainment/

Financial Services – https://cashcows.in/streamlining-the-sectors-2-8-financial-services/

Consumer Goods and Retail – https://cashcows.in/streamlining-the-sectors-3-8-consumer-goods-and-retail/

Automobiles and allied industries, Metals, Cements and Shipping – https://cashcows.in/streamlining-th...to-ancillaries-metals-cement-and-real-estate/

Chemicals, Energy and Plastics – https://cashcows.in/streamlining-the-sectors-6-8-energy-chemicals-and-plastics/

Construction, Engineering and Packaging – https://cashcows.in/streamlining-the-sectors-7-7-construction-engineering-and-packaging-industry/

@bbarb What's your outlook on L&TFH? I'm holding a significant quantity in my portfolio and am quiet worried that it's under performing.

Thanks for the amazing work you've done.

@littlefox I wish I knew. But the momentum feels very strong and the numbers are backing the momentum. A slight pulldown maybe but I don't expect a major correction in the short run.

@tonedr I am closely tracking Divis Labs (Generics& API)and Syngene International(CRAMS). I sold a majority of my Caplin point holding on Friday since it has doubled in 2-3 months and I was not comfortable with the valuations. I currently only hold Dr Reddys.

@bbarb What are some stocks in your radar presently (besides the two above and hopefully not pharmas)?

Apologies if you've already answered it elsewhere (haven't read the whole set of comments). Of course I am not going to blindly buy anything without checking them out myself.

I prefer smallcaps with a decent balance sheet and a medium term record of growth. Honestly I don't really analyze much beyond the balance sheet and balance sheet trends. Wish I had more time/energy to dedicate to this, sigh.

@nischansr Jagran Prakashan (newspaper, Contra bet), Transpek Industries (Specialty chemicals play, already hold some), Indiamart Intermesh (B2B online retail play, already hold a good size in Portfolio), Godrej Agrovet(Agricultural and animal husbandry proxy play along with frozen foods and pharma/chemical play), Torrent Power(Well run power company, reasonable valuations, good yield) and SRF(Specialty chemicals, technical fibres and packaging play)(Might invest in the holding company Kama Holdings)

@bbarb Syngene, Laurus, Sequent Scientific, and Neuland if things go well. I'm moreover confident about the first three.

As for established pharmaceuticals, my picks are Aurobindo (given the management is stringent with maintaining its facilities to USFDA guidelines), Lupin, Cadilla, Biocon(long term play). Stride's management is confident about their growth.

I've been hearing good things about alembic too, but i'm not too sure about current valuations as well as next 2-3 years potential. Not sure how much the market has already valued in the sales that'll be coming in from capex during the past few years, might research it more.

Pharma is honestly extremely complicated and requires a fundamental understanding of the sector and where it's heading, specially for India.. Always have to keep an eye on what China and USA are doing.

Here's a link to get started with pharma, it was actually quite insightful.