A woman lost her $823,000 injury claim after lawyers found a photo of her winning a Christmas-tree-throwing competition

@taters1 There were no injuries. It was one of those things where guy at yield sign starts to go, car behind looks left and starts to go, guy in front stops again, car behind bumps rear tire. No damage to the bike, crease in the car bumper, and the bike didn't fall over. Soft tissue injuries have statutory compensation limits of $10K range, so I don't know why he felt like he was going to retire.

My wife is terrible driver.

@anonymous Completely agree. Also have chronic pain and neck injury. It’s a balance between physical and mental health most of the time. I like hiking and mountaineering. I have special waist packs and no backpack for it. Can’t do overnights. Can take all the meds for the week and recover the rest of it. Most of the time I choose more balance but occasionally I go for the hard thing. You can tell people without the pain do not understand that just because you can do it today does not mean you can do it tomorrow or for 8+ hours daily.

I’m unsure if this person above deserved the consequences but it is clear nobody looking at the case has experienced chronic pain. So frustrating and kind of scary.

@righttruth That is the part people don’t get. I can do it, but then I can’t do anything else for three days. If I have stuff to do in those three days, then I can’t do the thing that puts me down for three days. I have to plan the pain. If work causes that pain, well then I might be able to work one day and take three off, but if I can’t take three off, I can’t work that one day.

It is entirely possible to be disabled yet still be able to do everything. Anyone who has never experienced that won’t get it.

@anonymous On the flip side there isn’t really objective proof an mva caused pain and suffering so I think throwing trees makes you less credible than someone that isn’t throwing trees especially if you had said you were unable to throw trees yaknow?

@slingmama I totally get you and that’s what makes it hard. What if the person isn’t lying and it was just a good day? But yes, what if they are. I guess this is where you look at the evidence of how much time and money are they putting into their treatments? If it’s severely inconveniencing them and takes a lot of commitment they’re more likely telling the truth. But who can say?

I just notice I’ve seen a couple of these instances now where people are getting docked for doing one thing after claiming disability and it scares me to even go to the gym like my PT has me doing for treatment! Of course the med records back me up but what about my own climbing hobby? I don’t rock climb because I can’t do upper body but I can walk uphill for a long time. I’d probly get in trouble. And yeah, I’m typically down for 3 days due to neck and head exacerbation but I’d climb more than 2 mountains a year if not for my issues.

Sometimes my partner brings me meds in bed. Sometimes I beat him to the mountaintop after having all my meds first. Sometimes you get caught doing something mundane like bringing in 10 pounds of cold groceries because you have no choice when you’re claiming you can’t lift 10 pounds at a register 8 hours a day. But of course, insurance doesn’t want to pay out scammer or no. You just can’t help but wonder and fear, both directions.

@anonymous But we ask about their injuries. Most are honest, but a lot of them aren’t. I’ll ask them how their injury affects their daily life. They’ll say they can’t walk. I’ll ask them “is it too painful to walk, so you avoid it? Or do your legs simply not work?” And they’ll say their legs don’t work - they can’t move them at all. Right. You were rendered a paraplegic, but the E.R. examined you, noted no injuries, and sent you home. And you have chosen to treat your paraplegia by going to a chiropractor twice a week.

Those are the people who tend to get followed by P.I.’s.

@anonymous Yeah there's things I can do on pain meds that I can't do without! People who don't experience chronic back or neck pain or both such as lawyers or anybody else don't understand what and how a person feels without pain meds that mask the pain when you do take the pain meds and are able to do things that you wouldn't be able to do without the pain meds. But there's always people out there that ruin it for people such as myself who are in pain after being in a car accident or any type of accident and claim this and that just for that Lottery mentality!!

@gtaylor777 Dude they’re not exciting, sorry. In fact they’re very unsexy.

I do have a backpack that snaps around the waist and chest so technically your core is supporting it and not your neck/shoulders but it’s become too much for me. Not sure about your own comfort level.

I also have 2 waist/fanny pack type satchel things. Sometimes I take one and sometimes I take 2. I can fit them both on my waist or I can cross them over my chest like a cross body bag. They each have 2 pouches the size of the front zip of a backpack and a water bottle pocket.

Mostly I know exactly how much I personally require and I don’t hike mountains or other big things alone so someone has the backpack. I also carry a life straw and live near lots of waterfalls! I’m very intentional and selective in my routes and very good at navigation should I somehow get lost. I don’t take dumb chances so that I’m never the “underprepared hiker dies after entire town searches in freezing conditions for days!” Headline. Yeah. Hope that load of word vomit helps? lol

@righttruth I'm the hiker that falls and breaks their knee cuz they can't find waist packs.

Thanks for the information on where to find the waist packs. I don't care if they are sexy or not. They might save my life. I'll ask elsewhere. Sorry to bother you.

@gtaylor777 Dude what the hell? You asked a question and I gave you a pretty thorough answer with good extra tips. Now you want to know where?

Gee I guess I don’t feel like sharing what with that attitude. Wow.

@righttruth You didn't answer the question at all though, and mostly gate kept.

Ftr I'm not the one who down voted you.

I asked specifically what kind and how much they hold, and neither of those were answered. Instead you went into a story about someone else actually has your gear and you're not going to be a hiker that gets lost and dies.

So you may have responded to the question. But you did not answer it so I took YOUR attitude (since you went right into something about dying) that I was bothering you and apologized. But apparently you think my apology is an attitude. Clearly we both have communication issues, but I've already apologized for bothering you.

@ginz77 First-person reviews are better, and I was excited when I asked the person. You can look at Google all you want, but asking actual people their opinion on the product they enjoy is always the best.

I've bought one already, and I'm not a fan of the model I have despite reading the details of the product in detail.

@gtaylor777 You asked me what kind of waist packs and how much they hold. I described them in detail from rough pouch size to how they fit, plus the two ways they can be worn incase one way matters more to you. I did not go measure exactly how much they hold because I’m not next to them and that’s unreasonable, but I tried to give you a general idea. I also let you know they hold water bottles.

How did I not answer your question?

Did you want to know where they were from the entire time? Because you didn’t ask that.

One is from Amazon and one is from an outdoor shop. Google water bottle fanny pack or something similar and pick one with the pouch size, fit and bottle that you are interested in. Mine are both different.

They’re like fanny pack/cross body bags with buckles and multiple pockets. There’s tons of options from online to thrift shops to outdoor stores. I guess I thought I gave you enough you’d be able to find one you liked without doing a search myself.

I described myself not someone else….

I also went into detail about preparation BECAUSE they don’t hold much and it’s important that is considered since day hikers are already scantily prepared for an emergency compared to backpackers and mountaineers typically. So that’s how you DON’T die when you don’t pack much!

I don’t know what your problem is/why you want a waist pack so I explained the backpacks incase that works for you. They do take a lot of pressure off neck/back since that’s what we started with here, it’s just not enough for me. They also hold more in the event of an emergency.

I don’t care about downvotes. I care about taking a lot of time to answer a question and then someone being ungrateful because they either didn’t read it or misinterpreted it.

https://a.co/d/7dRvIYA

https://a.co/d/1LQLB6X

https://a.co/d/5Z7avjM

@anonymous Right? I'm a chronic pain patient with low back involvement 90% disabled veteran

I could totally see myself in a situation like this. Kinda was at one point. I took some time off work, but one day went to the park w a friend and climbed a tree and posted a pic on fb. Coworker took the pic into supervisors office trying to get me in trouble, but I had a lifting restriction, not a climbing restriction.

But that being said I have a 20 lb weight restriction at work, and that doesn't mean I can't lift 20 lbs ever. My doctor has me at 20 lbs at work so I can lift heavier things in my personal life.

Sometimes you have to limit what you "can" do at work so you can do it for yourself.

I'd spend a week in bed recuperating to win a tree throwing contest.

@gtaylor777 I had a string of bad luck (brachial neuritis, triggering tendonitis in three spots for three years, last half of those falling down the stairs and bouncing the elbow all the way down and an ac separation shortly after that was misdiagnosed and mistreated for months) and it eventually ended up with a 5 pound push/pull/lift/carry and no overhead for months. I could look like I was pushing heavy carts, but I was actually pushing with the other entire forearm and the bad arm resting on the bar with a little bit of steering. I did more than 5 pounds with weights and bands in phys therapy. I rode a bike because a) didn't have a car at that time and b) phys therapist loved that I was riding a bike. The bike was 40 lbs and I sometimes had to lift the front tire onto curbs. 5 lbs meant as little as possible unless a medical professional deemed heavier. And I had an entire other arm for not bulky stuff.