Taking winter tires off early

thebiblealone

Seems quite a bit warmer this year and I’m travelling the from March 31st. If I take my winters off on the 28th of March and it’s above 10’ and no snow, would insurance reject a claim if something were to happen?

@lennyb They can’t though. The call center or customer service has only generic statements and you don’t talk to a claims adjuster until you have a claim.

I was hoping for some real world experience from people that work in the industry.

@thebiblealone Can speak for Ontario, no they won't.
There is nothing in the OAP 1 indicating claim can be denied for lack of snow tires. They can however refuse the snow tire discount in the future.

@lennyb 8 years in the biz and it’s pretty normal. Insurers have to be careful when it comes to stuff like this as it can create what’s called an estoppel, which is basically where they paint themselves into a corner by promising or stating some definitively that could later be used against you.

For me, working in sales and service, if someone calls and starts asking about something claims-related, if there’s been a claim I transfer them and claims begins the processing of applying the terms of their policy to adjust their claim. If they're asking hypotheticals, the claims department isn’t gonna take that call and to avoid an estoppel I really should limit my advice to “well your policy says X.” Insurers don’t like hypotheticals.

Winter tires are tricky cuz it probably doesn’t say anything in the policy itself around exact dates. It’s a discount, and the criteria for the discount varies from insurer to insurer and is really probably only present in an underwriting rule (so not public-facing.) I know when I ask someone about the winter tires, it’s basically “do you have a dedicated set of 4 that you switch on during the winter months?” Now does that meant Dec 21 to Mar 21? Or for the entirety of December and March as well? (Because those would be considered winter months, at least partially.) If we got an early winter and you had a claim in November as a result of weather conditions, but you were waiting to put your snows on, in part, because insurance didn’t require it, could they nail you for failure to mitigate damages or something? Probably not, but who’s to say? Same if you took them off early but then it snowed in April?