Spread over 3 continents, need tax advice

annalee

Hey all!

I am an Indian who moved to the USA on an F1 visa and worked there for a couple of years and presently in the Netherlands.

In 2023,
  • I quit my job and moved out of the USA in Feb, (Earned 8k, 5k for accrued leaves, and have 100k net worth in stocks, savings, HSA, 401k, and crypto)
  • Lived in India for 8 months, and (No earnings in 2023 nor own any assets)
  • Moved to the Netherlands for work. (Earned 15k and 13th month from Sept to Dec)
What is my tax situation?
  1. USA I have a tax consultant.
  2. NL I hear I have to declare net worth and pay taxes on these even if I don't have gains. Really? Will I need a tax consultant?
Let me know your ideas, suggestions, things to look out for, etc.

@annalee I'm also spread over 3 continents (US, EU, North East Asia) - I don't know how Indian taxes work Here's what I would do:
US: work with your CPA to file including your NL income which is easily covered by foreign income exclusion.
NL: get a tax preparer who understands how to file with US income. They will help you to understand US investments and moves that will trigger taxes there.
India: chat with a tax professional to understand if the duration of your stay created a tax residency. This could be something to watch out for in the future. See what needs to be done regarding your US investments in India.
It may be a tough year tax-wise.