Seeking Financial Advice for International Living: What Would You Tell Your Younger Self?

eazyphantom

Hi friends,

I'm embarking on an exciting journey and planning to move to Europe/Latin America soon for school.

To preface, I am a citizen through decent in MX, USA, and EU. I speak 5 languages fluently so language isn’t a barrier for me.

I have my eye on Spain, but also don’t have a return date to coming back to America as I will probably look for jobs outside of the US.

I know that credit scores are an american thing, but is there anything similar i should be aware of in Spain, or other EU countries, even Latin America.

Any tips on managing finances without a credit score?

If you've had student loans in the U.S. but plan to live abroad for an extended period, how did you manage your student loan payments? Any advice on navigating this situation?

What are some good banks or financial institutions for people who migrate to Spain? Are there any that cater specifically to the needs of international residents?

Also, any general advice? If you could go back in time and give your younger self financial advice before moving abroad, what would it be? Any invaluable lessons you've learned along the way?

Looking forward to everyone’s replies. Hope this post also help others.

Please share your insight, wisdom, tips, and any resources that might help me and others in a similar situation make informed financial decisions while living abroad :)

@eazyphantom So many questions in your post. Even if you narrowed it to a single country rather than many disparate places it would be hard to answer. Only advice I have to you is to establish a brokerage account in the USA before you leave. It is almost impossible to get one once you are gone and there is no meaningful way to invest in ETFs without an American domiciled brokerage. All the other questions you can simply learn by doing.