Possibly injured and may need meds, X-ray… but Health insurance doesn’t kick in till April 1 because of waiting period from new job

inspiredinla

Please help. I am in severe pain. Ankle might be broken.

I just started a new job… my health insurance kicks in April 1. I’m no longer on my last insurance as of last September. I don’t have enough money to pay for doctor visits/X-rays/meds because insurance used to help out a lot. What can I do? My UHC plan starts April 1. I can’t make it to work in the morning with this excruciating pain. I want to see the doctor but it’ll be so expensive and my insurance doesn’t kick in. Help

@inspiredinla If you really think it might be broken, you need to have an X-ray. This is an emergency. Go to the ER, you can negotiate the bill down later with the hospital’s financial department. Sometimes they reduce it by a lot, like 90%+. Do not wait on this

@kidsmediapastor Hey man I like this advice. I scheduled an appt with a PCP and the X-ray came back with a fracture. He sent me to a orthopedist and they said I need a CT scan. How can I get a CT scan and possibly surgery without paying the bill upfront? Do I need to go to the ER instead of an appt with a orthopedist

@inspiredinla Find a health center. Google FHQC. They usually charge on a sliding scale and/or don’t charge. Or just look for a free clinic.

You could also find and consult with a health insurance marketplace navigator for your state. They can help you figure out if you can get Medicaid, a marketplace plan or some other insurance coverage until your employer insurance kicks in.