Should I quit my job to get the medication I need because my insurance through my employer is denying and delaying a med that my Medicaid approved?

@etgibs The people pay for it through taxes, but they pay a lot less and get universal healthcare access with no deductibles or networks or other BS. They pay less per person than we do for our system in total costs. Our system is the more expensive system, not theirs. Our system has worse results, higher costs, less access, and tons of stress and arbitrary restrictions. Our system is worse in every way, and better at nothing.

@etgibs I work in an ER. Guess what, most patients don't pay anything in America. It's all illegal immigrants, homeless people, and people on Medicaid (part time workers or people with tons of children).

Contributing adult workers can't afford the ER, but we have a family of illegal immigrants who have had 30 visits between them in the past week because they all have flu and they come every day to check in because it hasn't gone away in a couple of days.

I think that we should have universal healthcare so that 10th generation Americans like myself can visit the ER that I have worked security in for the past 7 years at 60 hours a week without having to pay a $400 copay and 40% coinsurance, and can instead get the benefits that the hordes of foreign citizens who snuck into the country in the last weeks and months and years get for free for simply trespassing here.

@mrkidzeal Your sort of right https://kffhealthnews.org/news/article/fact-check-biden-prescription-drug-prices-nation-comparison/ we pay about 3x for name brand meds (after accounting for manufacturer rebates 4.3 before) but less for generics than other industrialized nations. So we pay less for 9/10 of the medication used in this country than other industrialized nations. The problem is the name brands are 1/10 of the used meds costs 4/5 of the spending.

Looking at the OP she is ranting because she failed to google the med as a generic.

@elfwine It's not free. It just comes out of your paycheck, and you pay a fraction as much and can go to any doctor or receive any service without worrying about networks, deductibles, and every other scam our healthcare system utilizes. You don't pay for ambulances or any of the rest of it directly, and the cost per person is much less.

If we adopted one of these systems tomorrow, our expenses would go down, not up. Our system is more expensive per person, not theirs.

@mrkidzeal Yes I know. I've lived in other countries. You don't need to explain it to me.

But it is disingenuous to call it 'free' and a lot of people do. Because it's not free. It's sensible and cheaper. But when you misrepresent it as 'free' it (inadvertently) will turn people against it because "nothing is free" or "well someone has to be paying for it" or my favourite "im not paying for someone else's care"

to which you can remind them that they already do. If Uninsured Joe goes to the hospital and crumples up the bill who do they think is paying? The hospital gonna eat it? Hell no. They raise costs for those who do pay and then insurance companies decide that premiums for people like them go up too. So if we had a system where everyone paid in, you'd actually be paying less than you do now for their care.

They usually just get red and repeat a broke record line after that.

@elfwine Yes, I work security at the front desk of an ER. I know exactly who is already coming in. Illegals, homeless people looking for a place to camp out, Bidens endless importees from Afghanistan and Iraq, and people who work little to not at all, living on government benefits with 5 kids, who want to use the ER as primary care so that they don't have to buy a pregnancy test at home. However, I can't afford to see a doctor because our employer insurance is garbage. I am a contractor, and the hospital I've guarded for 7 years doesn't even accept our insurance for most services! But illegals get free and unlimited care for all services (not just EMTALA protected emergency care).

@jadelynn Deductibles co-payments and coinsurance is just an extra layer of BS to prevent people from using the insurance they pay for and even then a lot of services are not covered

@jadelynn Do you know healthcare, used to be free, or close to it. Back in doctors, peddled snake oil, and women died in childbirth insignificant numbers.

Stop being free the day we started needing doctors to be educated for a decade before practicing medicine every drug needed to end of scientist to develop them, and make sure they are safe, and an FDA to protect some consumers. Do you think it should be free because of the rest of the world doesn’t pay for it but if we don’t pay for it either, then none of us will have these things.

@joanneheng I waited almost 2 years for an appointment. One issue. Yesterday (because drs from my own insurance refused to see me (truth) I got a call from the Cleveland clinic.
I read one drs notes that said : will not see patient as she was in a car accident and don’t want involved in a personal injury suit!

Somebody transcribed the notes that shouldn’t have, but it will help me sue this one.
I’m hopeful Cleveland can help me.

@chicaleah Don't quit your job. Call your primary insurance again. Explain that you've been going through hell trying to get your meds. The agent should see the notes from all your previous calls.

Tell the CSR that it's gotten so bad you are literally thinking of quitting. Ask if they can help figure out who needs to do what to get this covered. Ask them if they can help you file a formal complaint.

I'm an agent at a health insurance company myself. I can't promise that everyone cares, but I care, and if you were my member, I would do my very best to clear a path through all of the bullshit so you can get your meds. 🖤

@mattjorgdbb
Ask them if they can help you file a formal complaint.

This is probably the best move.

Complaint and appeal workers know the systems and can get issues like these resolved.
  • Agent who works in Regulatory Compliance and has previously worked on escalation and resolution teams.

@chicaleah Does the pharmacy offer self pay without running insurance? Recently I needed a medication that my insurance denied, cost of medication if they approved it would have been a $250 deductible. The pharmacy instead ran the prescription as self pay with a discount card and it ended up being $100 without needing a prior authorization.