How do you see my portfolio? Long term, young, tech enthusiastic from Europe

fgregc

22% ETF's [VOO (27%) and QQQ (67%) , VTI (6%)]

10% AMD

9% Communication Services ETF (30% GOOG, 16% FB, 8% V, 8% DIS, 5% NFLX...)

9% NVDA

9% Consummer Discrete ETF (21% AMZN, 18% TSLA, 8% HD, 5% NKE, 5% MCD...)

8% AAPL

7% MSFT

6% Emerging Markets ETF's (37% China, 20% Japan, 17% India, 15% Korea...)

6% PYPL

5% FB

3% INTC

2% JNJ

2% TSMC

1% COIN

I know I am tech heavy exposure, but I'm young (23y.o), with a long term view and a firm believer on technology and semiconductors.

Also to note, I'm from Europe.

@fgregc You have too many individual stocks in my opinion. I dont believe you did the research necessary to bet on those companies. And even if you did you probably wont have as much time as you get older so I think such portfolio is not sustainable. I also doubt that you would be confident enough to put a LOT of money into those companies as you didnt do proper research on them (I assume).

Get into broad market ETF and if you really want to then research companies and buy the one that you understand, find to be the best and the price is right. Be patient. You have to understand the company so you dont panic when things go south. 2-4 individual companies is plenty enough and the rest is better to be invested into broad market diversified ETFs via dollar-cost-averaging.

Thats just my opinion. Always do your own research and make your own decisions. Good luck.

@fgregc I understand your philosophy and I think everyone believes in tech but theres a catch. Their future earnings are already priced in so you have to consider the price you pay for their current and future earnings and whether its reasonable. More often its not, even if they are good companies. When investors change their expectations about future earnings, the price tends to fall sharply. Thats what you are seeing now because of weak economic data and rising interest rates. Thats why you are probably in the red now.

So my advice is to start simple with 1-3 broad market ETFs and then be patient and when you find a good opportunity you can go for it. But staying away from picking stocks altogether is the most rational approach anyway since picking winners is easier said than done. Depends on your risk tolerance.

Back