hillbilly13

For context, I went to an IT fair yesterday to buy a laptop for work and studying. But my judgement was clouded and I ended up buying a gaming laptop (Asus Tuf Gaming F15) with RM3, 338 (including Screen Warranty, 3 year device warranty, F-secure Internet Security 1 year, laptop bag, Notepal CMC3 Silent Fan Laptop Cooling Pad).

My current course isn't GPU intensive (F6, social science) and I really find it hard to justify such a price, especially when gaming laptops are battery-extensive while my college doesn't have much power sockets. Is there any way to trade in or sell it, at least getting RM2.9-3k back?

Also are there any reccomended laptops for students who want to take a course in economics? Thank you in advance...

Laptop specs:
Asus Tuf Gaming F15 FX506L
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H
RAM: 8GB
Windows Edition: Windows 11
Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
Network Adapter: MediaTek Wi-Fi 6 MT7921

@hillbilly13 I deal a lot with laptops and the price you paid for that specifications is really expensive lol because it's old gen. You probably can get around 2.7k with it being new and all but even higher secondhand spec such as 3050 is selling around 2.9k now. Can try to put it on Facebook marketplace (where I usually get buyers from) or carousell. just avoid mudah

@hillbilly13 I am sorry OP, that spec is really old.

Just a note here to OP and everyone else,

Malaysia barely (close to zero) has good deals, even during sales they will just mark up and slash down.

@hillbilly13 Carousell is a good platform, FB marketplace would be my 2nd choice.

OR, just use the laptop anyway. Those specs are quite low, I don’t think the battery drain is that bad compared to other laptops.

@hillbilly13 Facebook marketplace, Mudah.my, lowyat.net..
Preferably sell with COD only as its relatively an expensive item..

This laptop price are in medium range, so expect to drop your price in order to sell it faster.. Meanwhile, use it as your workstation, because for your usage u probably need Atleast laptop priced around 1.5k-2k..

If I were u, ill move on and think how to find money to cover back my spending.. There quite a handful of thing u can do to make money as a student..

@hillbilly13 As others suggested, I would posts on Carousell and Facebook with a slighly higher price than you wanted to sell it to allow space for negotiation. I encourage to do only F2F or COD to ensure the buyer is legit so you don't get scammed because you can receive the money while passing the product to the buyer, meaning you don't have to establish a great amount of trust with each other beforehand.

As a university student, these are the things I consider when purchasing a new laptop:
  • Portability. Ideally you want something that is lightweight, which will allow you to carry the laptop around campus easily and does not hurt your back.
  • Screen size. Depending on your use cases, you might prefer a smaller or a bigger screen, normally I go for 13-15 inches, you should try out your ideal screen size before you make the purchase, at least open the apps you normally would use to make sure they're comfortable enough for you.
  • Battery life. Battery life is important here as your college doesn't have much power sockets. You want the battery to last at least for how long your lectures are, and also the time you planned to stay in campus for further activity that you can't charge the laptop. Don't blindly look at the official products' spec to determine the battery life, also look for forums where people talk about the actual real world battery life for their use cases and see whether it suits your case.
  • Operating system. You want to make sure your operating system for the new laptop supports all the softwares you're going to use throughout the course, some softwares only supported on Windows, thus in that case you cannot get a Macbook for example.
If you have the money, I suggested to get a Macbook Air M1. You want to make sure the softwares needed are supported on MacOS.

Pros:
* Excellent battery life, normal web browsing and text processing will last around 10 hours
* Lightweight
* Screen is bright and color is nice
* Long lasting. I've never used a Macbook because I can't afford it. But I've seen people suggesting that it will last for quite long, up to 5 years.

Cons:
* Expensive
* Ports availability is bad. Just 2 thunderbolt ports, you'll need extensions hub to have more ports

@hillbilly13 with that specs its very hard to get your money back, atleast between 1.5-2k at the very least since its old gen laptop specs youre having there. you might try your luck selling higher on carousel or fb marketplace, make sure its CoD else youre gonna get scammed.

my unsolicited advice regarding buying laptop next time is that do an extensive research about what type of laptop youre gonna buy next time, fb groups for asking around, youtube and google are your best friend, do a budget and what type of work youre intended to do with your laptop,considering youre not playing games its much easier to find one thats very light and have a long battery life all while having the current gen specs available.

@hillbilly13 My current work laptop cost like RM 2.5k with basic specs so lets say you sell and manage get full price back, its only a few hundred ringgit. And there's no way you can get full price back. What's the point?

Looking at the price and spec, its a low low end spec gaming laptop. Like you can drop 4k to 5k on gaming pc and that would still be a low spec gaming pc. Its like sub $1k budget level PC in US for kids or beginners where you can buy off Costco.

@hillbilly13 Ooooof I feel you OP. I recently did the exact same as you and completely blew my budget at a PC fair.. by around 2k LOL. Went from mid-range to top-level RTX3080+16GB gaming laptop. I didnt need it and regretted a lot for a few weeks, but I have since made peace with my impulsiveness.

You are correct that you probably would have a loss of up to 500 bucks if you sell now, especially as the specs are becoming outdated. I think its more worth to keep it for yourself and maximise its use for as long as possible.

@hillbilly13 I don't think you would be able to get much on reselling that laptop. You bought an older generation model for too much money unfortunately. For example, that graphics chip is 2 generations old now.

My advice? Post it on uni board for maybe 2.8k, post it on carousell, post it on mudah. Insist on COD deals only to filter out scammers and window shoppers.

Meanwhile just keep using it. I have the same model. It's quite a solid laptop. If a buyer comes along, great. If not then just consider this a bad purchase (we all make these mistakes from time to time), learn to move on and be more informed the next time you need to buy a big ticket item.

Back