@ann58 Can she not put it into a joint bank account?
And then you guys withdraw your shares?

Otherwise talk to a tax practitioners
There’s def a way people avoid this.

Maybe she can buy some great diamond jewellery for you guys

@ann58 I don't know about watches, but if u are going to buying jewelry type assets , buy gold biscuits. High resale value. With jewelry, its just the pure weight of the metal when u resell but when u buy ur paying for making charges, the type of stone etc etc...that's why biscuits are the best..it's just pure gold no stone weight n so on.

@ann58 My parents did similar via slow transfer annually to kids to keep below donations tax and reduce inheritance tax. It’s like prudent planning along with trusts if fixed assets are substantial.

Anyway.. TFSA has a max contribution limit, so I guess it is maxing your cash(hold/bond account/non-tax interest limit) and maxing general equities(non-tax investment limit).

The remainder you can decide if worth putting into RA as a once off bonus contribution which will reduce your tax (again to the limit according to income) or park in a discretionary investment but this will attract annual tax. The strategy would be the bleed this into TFSA and/or RA as quick as possible to remove tax liability.

If parent has multiple kids they usually either round robin kids Ie 100k to kid 1 year 1, kid 2 year 2 etc or divide up and contrib that way as a 100k/number of kids. It actually is beneficial as a slow contrib as then limits aren’t breached.

People often use other accounting tricks such as loans(you have to have interest on loans else it’s not a loan.. they getting tough on gimmicks) but it comes with costs and honestly unless there is a finite time to get this done why the rush. It’s a long term objective so hasty transfer is kinda excluded by definition I’d think. Via trusts is another way but unless the parent did so from the offset, ie planned when purchasing etc post fact is costly again esp if only reason is tax avoidance.

@jungdanielle29 Trusts are quite limiting. Higher tax rates inside a trust encourages dispensation of profits in the same tax year they are made to beneficiaries instead of compounding returns in the trust

@ann58 Your Mom can purchase crypto and transfer each of you the value above 97k. Or she could purchase land in an underdeveloped area (newly zoned industrial area or something) and transfer it to you.

@ann58 My dad passed away when I was 13. I never received an inheritance from him. Everything went to my mom.

My mom used the funds to purchase rezoned land for sale in the late 90s. 800m2 per unit at between 500-7000. The value of the land at the time of transfer was between 600k and 750k. One of the homes built on that land went for 2.4m 4 years ago.

Today I am very grateful for her decisions.

@ann58 I would invest in bitcoin. 1. Bitcoin halving coming up 2. Blackrock is investing in a Bitcoin spot ETF. If it’s long term then it’s the best asset class performing against the S&P. Do your own research. Michael Saylor and his board (Microstrategy) did a very cool experiment. They looked at every since performing asset that hedged inflation best …through months of research they saw Bitcoin was the best investment. They are the firm that confined Elon musk to invest $1B+ in it. Read the bullish case for Bitcoin. They have successfully swapped their dollar capital treasury to Bitcoin capital. They now have over $4B in Bitcoin.

@ann58 Your Mom can purchase crypto and transfer each of you the value above 97k. Or she could purchase land in an underdeveloped area (newly zoned industrial area or something) and transfer it to you.

@lovewithoutforgiveness Except it won't work, because the kids want to invest it so they need to purchase it from a bank account which means an exchange which is paper trail or OTC half a million rand, but then they also need to sell it and deposit it into an investment account.