Zakat Obligation - Laid off today

jerry7

Salam,

Unfortunately, I received news today that I've been let go from my job after working there for 1.5 years. May Allah grant me strength and ease during this difficult time. With this sudden change in my circumstances, I'm now unsure about how to navigate my Zakat obligations.

Previously, I was living paycheck to paycheck with some emergency funds set aside. However, I now find myself in a situation where I owe someone over $3000, have a credit card debt of over $1000, and have monthly rent to pay. Additionally, the company provided me with severance pay for 4 weeks, and I am looking into applying for employment insurance.

Given these new financial challenges, I'm not sure how to calculate Zakat. Should I base it on what I anticipate needing for the next 6 months, considering my current debts and expenses? Or should I not pay Zakat at all until I'm in a more stable financial position? Allahu 'alam.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance or advice on how to proceed with Zakat in my current situation. May Allah grant me clarity and bless me with provisions during this time of uncertainty. If anyone has been through a similar situation or has expertise in Islamic finance, I would welcome any insights or recommendations you can offer.

Please take 5 secs of your time and pray for me.

اللّهُمَّ لا سَهْلَ إلا ما جَعَلْتَهُ سَهْلا وَأنتَ تَجْعَلُ الحَزْنَ إذا شِئْتَ سَهْلا

Allahumma la sahla illa maa ja’altahu sahlan, wa Anta taj’alu l-hazna idha shi’ta sahla.

“O Allah! There is no ease except that which You make easy, and indeed You, when You want, make difficulties easy.” - (Sahih Ibn Hibban)

JazakAllah khair.

@jerry7 WA WR WB — ma sha Allah. I’m not knowledgeable enough to share an answer to your question but find it amazing that even in this time of difficulty you are thinking about fulfilling your obligations as a Muslim. May Allah accept your efforts and zakat and may He bless you with rizq from sources that you never even imagined of.

@jerry7 Wa alaykumus salaam, do you still have those emergency funds, and are they over the nisab value? If not, you pay zakat on wealth you have held for the year, as long as it is over the nisab value (roughly $473.16). If you do have wealth over the nisab value, you can also subtract the amount you expect to pay in debt over the next 12 months when calculating your wealth. Here is a handy calcator you can use: https://calculate-ga1.nzf.org.uk/?_...4*MTcxMjI4OTM0My4zLjEuMTcxMjI4OTU0MS4yMS4wLjA.

May Allah swt grant you barakah and make it easy for you.

@mitchfj I appreciate it. Ameen.

I do have wealth over nisab value.

I will use the calculator, what about my rent? Do I add rent for just the following month or for the next 12 months?

@mitchfj I am not the OP. Do you think you could answer this question? I received inheritance. I payed zakat+more charity on it the year I received it. It is put away now, do I have to keep paying on it yearly? If so I'm thinking it will just deplete and deplete because I have no source of income.

@kentonio
inheritance. I paid zakat+more charity

FTFY.

Although payed exists (the reason why autocorrection didn't help you), it is only correct in:
  • Nautical context, when it means to paint a surface, or to cover with something like tar or resin in order to make it waterproof or corrosion-resistant. The deck is yet to be payed.
  • Payed out when letting strings, cables or ropes out, by slacking them. The rope is payed out! You can pull now.
Unfortunately, I was unable to find nautical or rope-related words in your comment.

Beep, boop, I'm a bot

@kentonio Yes, every year you hold wealth above the nisab value, zakat is due, even if you had paid zakat on it in the prior year. Think of it this way, you are still in a fortunate position to be able to pay zakat and are not in a position to receive it.

@jerry7 I’m not sure about the zakat situation but I also was laid off on the second day of Ramadan. It really upsets you but have faith in Allah and you will look back and be happy that things happen the way they do.

@jerry7 Zakat can be paid in a year time, let say you have calculated your zakat dues and you can pay it on the anniversary date; It is all your intention and looking the circumstances you know how to handle and May Allah accept your fasts and deeds and ان شاء الله you will find job soon.

@jerry7 I m currently unemployed too, it's tough when you are unemployed and have to pay zakath.

But zakath was always an incredible reason for the exponential increase of my wealth when I look back.

May Allah provide you with abundance of wealth from next year so you may be able to pay your zakath easily.