Yet another budget spreadsheet

@resjudicata Sorry what?

Edit: Think I decrypted! You are not in the UK but think the tax and healthcare system look good compared to your local system?

Grass is always greener on the otherside but if you really do feel like trying life somewhere else then make a plan and stick to it!

@holydan86 Yea. Live in United States. I put my salary into the calculator. It looks like I pay quite a bit more for health care here and still pay when I go to the doctor. Regarding grass is always greener, what’s the catch with your health care system? thanks mate! (Am I allowed to say mate?)

@resjudicata Yes mate!
People over here who want to argue for an American style healthcare system (yes, they do exist) often claim that the NHS is bloated and incompetent. My experience with the NHS has been good. Long wait times, but I'd much rather the stress of waiting in the moment than the on going stress of dealing with the financial fall out in addition to whatever ailment or event I was going through.

One thing to be aware of in addition to income tax is vat. Last time I was in the US was florida and I think we were paying about 7% tax at the till. It's 20% here but at least it's included in the price on the shelf. Of course goods cost different amounts anyway in the first place but it will make a difference to many things. Paying 20% on top of your plumber's invoice for example.

Then there's duty taxes on things like beer and fuel. A pint of beer is around £4 average by me and fuel at the moment is the cheapest it's been for a long time at £1.10 a litre for diesel. (About £4.17 a US gallon, or $5.16). That said we don't tend to drive as far!

@resjudicata It's a bit of a lottery how short or long the queues are for appointments. Some stuff is rapid, others like mental health can take upto 6 months for a first appointment.

We also have prescription charges so if you are working it can cost £9.10... which compared to the US might as well be nothing.