Would you invest in a ‘needs repair’ house as first time buyer?

@penfire1 I'm going to be in a bidding war no matter what house I look at - Dublin market, my price range is low end for the areas I'm in. Not got a huge optimism for getting it, was looking for clarity here mainly for it the max price I'm going into this war with would leave me enough for the immediate repairs needed to make it liveable.

@sally1996 Yes but it's already a bidding war with three people who have actually made offers &(unless they are idiots) gotten surveys. Can u afford to pay 300-600 for full surveys each time? Maybe set some ground rules for urself(I got carried away on the first house I bid on & am so glad I didn't get it lol). Unless it was a discounted price or thru family, or u were in the construction trade,I wouldn't bid in properties in need of remedial work. Outdated decor/general updating or minor repairs is one thing but where works are required there will be delays and more costs & may impact mortgage approval. AIP is for straight forward purchases only, not for purchase & renovate. Good luck

@penfire1 Sorry, I've been assuming that everyone does the survey after sale agreed same as I was advised for doing. I wouldn't be doing the survey unless I won the bid, and I have a ceiling on what I would bid which is what the financials in my post were based on (I'm a very very conservative planner when it comes to money, no worries!) I'll have a chat with my mortgage advisor during our next meeting on what exactly is covered by the one we're negotiating. Thanks for the insight!

@sally1996 We have a mould problem but only in winter. I’ve found if you stay on top of it, it’s manageable. I have a small dehumidifier running day time in winter. There’s a cilit bang spray that you just spray, leave for 15 mins and wipe away.
Wallpaper removal painting is 3/4 days work. Carpet not sure but can’t imagine it’s more than £2k for most of a 3 bed house.

Edit as autocorrect and my tipsy brain made a balls of it

@cahoopa You’re an absolute legend for this comment, thanks! Never even been able to lift a paintbrush in my 10 years renting and google is only going so far to tell me how long and how much something costs. This has been proper helpful!