Would like to buy an $8k-$10k second-hand SUV in the near future, but unsure of the best route

@johnnyhouse What would you say about a 2013 highlander hybrid with 100k km on it? Market rate is 25k which seems insane to me but I can’t find a better hybrid SUV in our price range.

@luv2ski77 Oh... That's an amazing vehicle! Just remember that if you drive a lot of highway mileage, it's not going to be as fuel efficient as you think.

But reliability-wise, it's a beast! The hybrid battery should last at least 180K, and refurbishing it (to get you at least another 100K) isn't very expensive (1.5K-2K or so).

@michael0830 In a large majority of cases, a SUV is not necessary for day hikes. I drive a mid-2000s FWD minivan, do tons of hiking, and have never had a problem.

If you're careful, most vehicles will do fine.

@michael0830 I do tons of hiking and drive to our cabin 6 miles up a mountainous dirt road in a Honda Fit. Amazing car. The need for an SUV or pickup truck to go hiking is an invention of Detroit because they sell those for higher margins.

@michael0830 My 2012 Silverado with 235,000km I'm trading in on a new vehicle and the dealer is giving me $12,000 on trade in. Just to set your expectations,
Mind you my truck is pretty loaded (leather, heated cooled seats, android, sunroof, 2spd auto transfer case) but still. $8000 for an SUV you're buying someone else problems

@michael0830 Likely to be an unpopular opinion, but for $8-10k, I'd look into leasing one. A 3yr term might be almost the same in the end.

Yes, you're sort of "renting" but you're getting a new vehicle with a warranty, which you may be able to sell when the lease is back to make some of your cash back.