Worth a lawyer? Hit by a child

@ifitry Lol… I am absolutely not worried at all of anything I say being misconstrued as legal advice or acting in bad faith. I watered down the language i use for the forum. My manager is just fine with me. This is an amateur hour I’m cool.

@resjudicata Thank you for the thoughtful response. I identify with so much of what you said. I am certainly not well versed in the world of insurance, and because this situation isn’t cut and dry, I feel unprepared to deal with it. I had a consultation with a local injury lawyer yesterday and he already gave me some guidance on how to handle my medical bills I’ve incurred so far.

@shizer I appreciate that. I do volunteer work for a local dog rescue group, and that is a major mental health boost for me. But right now I can’t even lean forward 15° without severe pain. So it’s not just my income I’m worried about, it’s also my quality of life.

@shizer Wildly unpopular because a lawyer steals a third of the month for doing nothing, leaving you stuck with possibly less than you need to break even. I know my settlement offer doesn’t go up when an attorney is hired…so in the end you’re losing 33% of your cash.

@shizer That’s not remotely factually true. The only way an attorney getting involved would result in policy limits is if the injury supported it and limits were already being considered. Or additional information was provided that warranted it.

@scottdarrygriffiths Agreed always pay policy limits? Hardly the idea that oooh you got an attorney the insurance is scared now and they’re going to pay is laughably untrue despite all the propaganda ads to the contrary, I’d predict moms insurance will accept liability and your overthinking that aspect and good on you OP for having good UM coverage too

@shizer I have paid policy limits one time. One. Out of hundreds of claims and that’s because it was a fatality. You know literally nothing about BI adjusters either. Or you only know the bad ones.

@gratitudeisthebest You have the burden of proof for presenting your claim. An atty in injury cases is like a glorified point of contact. Really they just become the person who discusses the claim with the insurance. And don’t get me wrong. Sometimes some ppl need that. Some people are willing to give up 30-40% of the settlement to not have deal with it. The atty and their workers would (or should) be in touch with you and they usually send you to their own line of providers - for the most part it’s sketchy imaging, chiro, and orthopedic doctors that are already on most insurance companies “black” list for fraud… the atty tells you do this, do that, see this provider and that provider etc. An atty guides the treatment but the insurance decides what reasonable and necessary after they review medical records. They have the RIGHT to do this. At that point they send out this offer and work to settle the claim. It sounds like what you have are soft tissue injuries that heal on their own with time, but PT and the like can help. If nothing broken, like others stated I don’t see you getting your policy limits unless the incurred medicals end up being unreasonably obtained