Withhold tax for US-ETF as a B-Permit holder

b429

Scenario: I am a B-Permit holder with a salary under 120k and wealth under 80k. Hence, I don‘t have to make a tax declaration. Also I am not interested to do it as I live in a city with higher taxes than the canton and would probably have to pay more taxes.

Now I want to start investing like everybody else in VT with IBKR. As I understand the withhold tax is 30% (15 for US, 15 for CH).

And we can get both of them back with the two forms DA-1 and R-US.

My questions:
  1. But if I understand it correctly, I would have to file in the 2 forms two along with my tax declaration? Or is there any other way?
  2. Is it worth to do the tax declaration to get the 30% back although I‘d have to pay more taxes for my city.
  3. If I decide to not do the tax declaration, once my brutto dividends (before withhold tax) hit 3k, I‘d have to do the tax declaration for the next year. (Or my net worth hits 80k)
  4. What would you suggest me to do? Get a tax advisor?
Thank you all.

@b429 If you file a W-8BEN with IB, the US withholding tax will be 15%. And that you claim back with DA-1. The R-US seems to be for the extra withholding that Swiss brokers keep on income from US securities. It doesn't apply to IB (or any other foreign-domiciled broker).