Will you get the $2000/m for 4 months as announced by the PM today?

@martex The legislation is here (starts on page 8/45):

https://fin.canada.ca/drleg-apl/2020/nwmm-amvm-0320-l-bil.pdf

worker means a person who is at least 15 years of age, who is resident in Canada and who, for 2019 or in the 12- month period preceding the day on which they make an application under section 5, has a total income of at least $5,000 — or, if another amount is fixed by regulation, of at least that amount — from the following sources:

(a) employment;

(b) self-employment;

(c) benefits paid to the person under any of subsections 22(1), 23(1), 152.04(1) and 152.05(1) of the Employment Insurance Act; and

(d) allowances, money or other benefits paid to the person under a provincial plan because of pregnancy or in respect of the care by the person of one or more of their new-born children or one or more children placed with them for the purpose of adoption.

6 (1) A worker is eligible for an income support payment if

(a) the worker, whether employed or self-employed, ceases working for reasons related to COVID-19 for at least 14 consecutive days within the four-week period in respect of which they apply for the payment; and

(b) they do not receive, in respect of the consecutive days on which they have ceased working,

(i) subject to the regulations, income from employment or self-employment,

(ii) benefitts, as defined in subsection 2(1) of the Employment Insurance Act, (iii) allowances, money or other benefits paid to the worker under a provincial plan because of pregnancy or in respect of the care by the worker of one or more of their new-born children or one or more children placed with them for the purpose of adoption, or

(iv) any other income that is prescribed by regulation.

Exclusion

(2) An employed worker does not cease work for the purpose of paragraph (1)(a) if they quit their employment voluntarily.

@gtussy If I get laid off without notice (this Monday March 23rd was my last day), I can apply for EI, but how about this new program? Would I be eligible?

@martex I’m a small business owner (no employees, just me) in the event space and as far as I can tell I won’t get any benefits. I’m a rental tenant as well. I still have some old income flowing in, but I lost 50k in revenue as soon as this hit. Can’t get a loan, I’m in arrears for last years tax as well. Getting hit hard. My own fault for not having an emergency fund and 0 debt. But that’s beside the point. I’m just adding my voice in here because I disagree with your last line. I wouldn’t necessarily expect this saves everyone (tenants) and they’ll be able to make rent.

@resjudicata I'm in the same boat. Have more savings but dipping into them would hurt hard as they are all heavily invested and took a dive in recent weeks. As well eating up savings will hurt my business in the long run.

Interesting times

@resjudicata Yep, you are probably right about rent (not) coming in. The legislature states the benefit isn't offered to those who are on EI. Both my tenants would qualify for EI, but will definitely get less than $2000... it sucks for them.

@martex I’m willing to bet that $2k is the max and it’ll be paid out depending on your previous year’s Income similar to EI.

Edit to remove some incorrect assumptions I’d made regarding my personal circumstances and how they would affect my eligibility.

@martex I'm unsure if I'm eligible, I'm very confused. I have a contract, a part-time job since I'm a full-time student-- that is ending next week and I'm unable to find a job because companies are not hiring.

@lazarus_come_forth Workers who can’t work for almost any reason related to COVID-19, including staying home to look after others, the need to quarantine or self-isolate, or also because their employer has closed or reduced business and can’t offer them as many or any shifts.

I really want to say you would be eligible based on this, since it is not EI. But at the same time, no one really knows at this time since details have not come out. The previous relief support was initially thought to be available to many and most but the requirements are actually quite restrictive. I hope you do get help though. So many people fall into the crack with EI and this is a unique situation where EI wasn't designed for.