Why you should get some Bitcoin just in case this happens

yochanagrace

You’ve probably dismiss Bitcoin the first time you heard it.

Bitcoin has the reputation of being used only by geeks or people buying drugs online. But narratives have changed since then.

Today we have the following Bitcoin adoption:

-Publicly listed companies holding Bitcoin

-Asset managers like Blackrock filing for Bitcoin Spot ETF (like a mutual fund or UITF in PH)

-El Salvador adopting bitcoin as legal tender. Other countries mining Bitcoin

-4 US presidential candidates that are pro-Bitcoin

If these smart investors and big institutions are adopting Bitcoin , it must means that Bitcoin is no longer viewed as scam right?

Why Bitcoin adoption is accelerating

Bitcoin is a new asset class. There’s nothing like it before.

Wall street firms and big banks are entering into Bitcoin because it is a new asset class that can be invested on.

It is an asset class that will be treated like stocks, bonds or gold. Pension funds, endowment funds, insurance funds, sovereign wealth funds etc. will soon allocate their money into Bitcoin.

Bitcoin will take capital from funds that are invested in stocks, bonds, gold, real estate etc.

One estimate of the total value or market cap of these investable assets (stocks, bonds, gold, real estate etc.) is $900 trillion.

In comparison, Bitcoin’s market cap today stands at only half trillion.

Why Bitcoin will be an investable asset

Today money is no longer backed by anything.

The biggest and arguably the most important asset in the financial system are government bonds issued by the United States.

This trillion dollar asset is backed by the United States. When you buy US government bonds, you are lending money to the United States.

The problem with US government bonds are:

First, the US has a lot of debt

Second, the US is in deficit. They spend more money than they make.

If you buy US bonds you’re lending your money to the US government. When you lend money, you evaluate the borrower if they can pay it back, you ask if the borrower is making enough money to pay you back. If the lender has lots of debt, that’s a red flag.

Even though the US has a lot of debt and they are not profitable (they earn less from taxes than what they spend), the US won’t default on their obligations.

It is because they can print more money to pay their debt.

It’s not as simple as printing paper money or electronic money. They will issue more debt or US government bonds to pay their old debts.

It’s like getting a new credit card to pay for your old credit card.

This is the bullish case for Bitcoin.

In an environment of growing debt and money supply that can be created out of thin air, assets that cannot be debased or produced out of nowhere become more valuable.

Bitcoin is like Gold because you can’t print or create them out of nowhere.

21 Million

Unlike fiat currency that can be created by governments.

Bitcoin has a hard cap. There is a limit of 21 Million Bitcoins.

This is the main reason why Bitcoin was created. It was meant to be a money that is controlled by no one. Governments cannot print more Bitcoin.

Will Bitcoin become the new form of money?

That’s the endgame or purpose of Bitcoin . But no one know when will this happen.

The good thing is that this doesn’t need to happen for Bitcoin to become successful.

Bitcoin will go up because the investors will search for an investment that cannot be created out of nowhere. There will be more money printed in the future because the governments has lots of debt. The only way they pay their debts is to print more money. In that scenario, assets that are limited in supply like Bitcoin will do very well.

Even though Bitcoin is at $30,000 as of this writing. We are still early. Because like I said, bitcoin becoming money as not the bullish case for bitcoin.

The bullish case for bitcoin is that the competing assets like government bonds are eroding in value.

Should you go all in on Bitcoin?

I’m not saying that tomorrow next year o the next decade everything will collapse. No one knows the future.

Since 1970s, there are people that saying that the dollar will collapse. The dollar collapsing is always a headline every year.

If you are fortunate enough to have some money left to save. You will loose it through inflation over time if you save it in cash.

That’s why we need to invest. And that is the thesis of this post.

To consider what Bitcoin is and how can it be a part of your savings & investment along with stocks, bonds , gold etc.

You’re the only who knows what the right % of allocation to Bitcoin because everyone has unique circumstances. The only wrong allocation to Bitcoin is zero.

This post originally appear here: https://diyinvestingforfilipinos.substack.com/p/why-you-should-get-some-bitcoin-just

Best free resources to learn Bitcoin: https://diyinvestingforfilipinos.substack.com/p/best-free-resources-to-learn-bitcoin

@yochanagrace Bitcoin's current transaction processing capacity is limited, which has led to high transaction fees and slower confirmation times during periods of high demand. How does Bitcoin plan to address this scalability challenge to become a truly global and efficient means of exchange, especially if it aims to compete with traditional financial systems that can process thousands of transactions per second? What implications might scalability solutions have on the decentralization and security of the Bitcoin network?

@yochanagrace I've known of bitcoin since 2007, almost 20 yrs now and I still don't know any use case for it other than getting traded and scamming people who wanna get rich quick. At this point I am convinced all the crypto currently existing are useless and will forever be useless. It's so unwieldy and unnecessary, why use crypto when digital currency platforms like PayPal, credit cards or gcash already exist?

Crypto reminds me of all those dot com companies that formed a bubble in the 90s. Some new tech is gonna be the Amazon and Google of today's crypto, but that is still far into the future and it won't be the crypto we have today imo.

@peteyg I said I knew about it not that I owned or invested in it, BTC has been in design since 2004. It would make sense if you did your research.

@yochanagrace Blackrock and other investment firms have bitcoin ETFs because of the fees. Same reason why we have marijuana ETF and other thematic ETFs, because they know investors respond well to attention induced trading, they respond to sensationalized coverage from media. Don't be silly.

And none of that "accelerated adoption" of bitcoin, really because of El Salvador? Are you serious?

@yochanagrace This is probably one of the most polarizing topics among investors. It really depends on your risk profile.

1. If you want to find the safest way to grow your money, then crypto or Bitcoin is not for you.

2. Stick with savings accounts and maybe bonds. If you can tolerate a bit of risk, then invest in blue-chip stocks

3. If you day /scalp/ swing trade, then crypto is an asset with a lot of volatility.

4. If you do decide to take the plunge, do not sell the farm to get it. Invest what you are willing to lose.

At the end of the day, we just want to grow our money. But everything comes with risk. Heck, even banks can default. The other thing we want to fight is inflation. We can not stop it, we can only hedge to make sure it does not erode our purchasing power.

If you want to check how Bitcoin performs vs other assets when it comes to inflation, this article might help: Can Crypto Save Us From High Inflation?

@yochanagrace I have nothing against bitcoin but the reason I wont use this for business transaction anytime soon is due to how much its value fluctuates.

The biggest and arguably the most important asset in the financial system are government bonds issued by the United States.

This trillion dollar asset is backed by the United States. When you buy US government bonds, you are lending money to the United States.

As long as bitcoin or any other currency does not offer tbills or bonds in volume /scale as the US the USD will still remain dominant. Many countries have currency reserves not necessarily all in USD but just holding cash is bad news for any banks, finance departments or central banks hence they put their money in low risk long term tbills or bonds.

First, the US has a lot of debt

Japan is number one in debt to gdp ratio and singapore is number 5. Debt is a factor in determining a country's financial health but there are more factors to consider. US is ranked 9 with a 129% debt to gdp ratio after italy. Also US debt ceiling is a limit they set for themselves that will or always must be readjusted from time to time.

Second, the US is in deficit. They spend more money than they make.

I cant argue with this if we are to compare US deficit of -6.6% against OECD countries with an average of -.3% deficit. Data is from 2018. But i dont know how to use this information in connection to bitcoin.

If bitcoin maintains its value and does not fluctuate as much I might consider holding some. But bitcoin as an investment please dont try to convince me as my risk appetite is not that high to touch crypto or anything I dont understand in depth in general.

@yochanagrace
El Salvador adopting bitcoin as legal tender. Other countries mining Bitcoin

The adoption of Bitcoin in El Salvador was a massive failure, with the vast majority of the population rejecting it from inception to implementation. The few bitcoins the El Salvadorian government still has in reserve lost significant value.

Bitcoin is a new asset class. There’s nothing like it before.

Junk bonds are an asset class too, doesn't make them any good. Just because there wasn't anything like it before doesn't make it good.

One estimate of the total value or market cap of these investable assets (stocks, bonds, gold, real estate etc.) is $900 trillion.

In comparison, Bitcoin’s market cap today stands at only half trillion.

Are you really comparing bitcoin's market cap to literally everything with value being traded? Commodities we consume to survive? Securities that represent real assets and earnings? Properties? How does bitcoin compare to these and why should its market cap be pegged on these?

Today money is no longer backed by anything.

Neither is bitcoin. Money is considered LEGAL tender because there are laws that enforce its usage. If not backed by trust in the system, then it is backed by violence. Either way, I trust some random guys on the internet far less than I trust the US government, which actually has the incentive to keep the currency stable and the country running.

In an environment of growing debt and money supply that can be created out of thin air, assets that cannot be debased or produced out of nowhere become more valuable.

Bitcoin is like Gold because you can’t print or create them out of nowhere.

Bitcoin was literally created out of thin air.

Everything on your post is complete crap. Please no one heed this as legitimate advice. Most of the people that treat btc as actual currency are drug dealers and criminals. No one uses bitcoin because it's too volatile, transaction capacity is too low, and transaction fees are high. To draw a picture, BTC's transaction limit is 7 transactions per second, while Visa processes 1,700 transactions per second with a 24,000 transaction-per-second capacity. Nothing is backing btc, and its utility is also far lower than other transaction methods. It also has far less utility than other stores of value, such as gold which is used in electronics and other applications.