Why the timing of tax relief doesn’t matter, and why that’s an oversimplification (especially for pensions)

roger5599

There was a recent post comparing ISAs and pensions, and it drew a lot of attention to the timing of tax relief. The wiki does cover this here, but even when I read this I was still not convinced because the example given didn’t feel nuanced enough.

I’m going to try and explain it in a more mathsy way which I found more satisfying, and then I’m going to explain why I still don’t like it as a statement in the context of pensions specifically.

Heads up before jumping in, this is quite a niche post written in a way that I found helpful for myself to understand and feel confident in some of these principles. Most people do not need to care and can just follow the advice on the wiki, and many people will already know this. But for the remaining boring and curious people like me, please enjoy.

Why the timing of tax relief doesn’t matter

So let’s just use basic rate tax (BRT). Meaning whatever number we start with (“x”), the after tax version of that number will be x * 0.8.

If there was no growth to care about, the maths would be easy, you start with contribution x, and if you get taxed now or in 50 years, the final answer is still x * 0.8

No growth

Vehicle
Value now
Value later

ISA (tax now)
x * 0.8
x * 0.8

Pension (tax later)
x
x * 0.8

Anyone could have worked that out. Now let’s look at growth.

Scenario one, let’s assume 10% growth in value and that’s it. No compounding. So we’ll take the value now (with or without tax), multiply by 1.1, and then take any tax off if required.

Flat growth

Vehicle
Value now
Value later

ISA (tax now)
x * 0.8
x * 0.8 * 1.1

Pension (tax later)
x
x * 0.8 * 1.1

Again, that’s probably not what you’re here for. Ok, compounding time. 10% year 1, 10% year 2… 10% year 20. In fact 10% year n.

I’m sure you all remember this from GCSE maths, but to work out compounding you can take some starting number and multiply it by 1 + the growth as many times as you want.

Years of growth
Value
Value (simplified)

x * 1.1
x*1.1

x * 1.1 * 1.1
x*1.1[sup]2[/sup]

x * 1.1 * 1.1 * 1.1
x*1.1[sup]3[/sup]

x * 1.1 * 1.1…
x*1.1[sup]20[/sup]

n

x*1.1[sup]n[/sup]

And some of you might have now seen the trick. 1.1[sup]n[/sup] is just an arbitrary multiplier, just like when we had flat non-compounding growth. We could replace the number 1.1[sup]n[/sup] with anything, so let’s just call it y. Now compounding growth looks like this

Compound growth

Vehicle
Value now
Value later

ISA (tax now)
x * 0.8
x * 0.8 * y

Pension (tax later)
x
x * 0.8 * y

Hey look, it’s the same! This is the bit that got me when I was first trying to get my head around this. I was sure that compound growth would be more beneficial earlier on, but that’s not relevant if the tax coming out is the same as the tax going in. So if the rate of the tax is the same coming out as it is going in then the timing doesn’t matter.

Why that’s an oversimplification (especially for pensions)

The above is correct if we assume a really simple 20% tax on everything. Now there are a couple of obvious examples of why this isn’t always true, namely:
  • If you pay HRT now and will pay BRT later
  • You get 25% tax free on all your pension
To immediately simplify

HRT now BRT later

HRT = 0.6

BRT = 0.8

Vehicle
Value now
Value later

ISA (tax now)
x * HRT
x * HRT * y

Pension (tax later)
x
x * BRT * y

Vehicle
Value now
Value later

ISA (tax now)
x * 0.6
x * 0.6 * y

Pension (tax later)
x
x * 0.8 * y

25% tax free

BRT = 0.8

After Tax Free BRT (ATFBRT) = 0.25+(0.75*0.8) = 0.85

Vehicle
Value now
Value later

ISA (tax now)
x * BRT
x * BRT * y

Pension (tax later)
x
x * ATFBRT * y

Vehicle
Value now
Value later

ISA (tax now)
x * 0.8
x * 0.8 * y

Pension (tax later)
x
x * 0.85 * y

These are the two obvious ones and probably the most applicable to most people. There is a sneaky third that is applicable to some people, and that is drawing down from the pension either entirely or partially below the personal tax allowance. So let’s pretend you’re able to do this (perhaps between ages 58 and 68 when you only have your pension income and don’t need a lot to live on). Well then you pay no tax in retirement

Vehicle
Value now
Value later

ISA (tax now)
x * 0.8
x * 0.8 * y

Pension (tax later)
x
x * y

This is unlikely to be possible when claiming state pension, but if retiring early (well, at an age where you can draw down from a private pension but don’t receive state pension (I think there is a name for this)) it’s likely that a significant chunk of your tax burden is reduced by the personal allowance

I think most people know the HRT/BRT thing. HRT payers are obviously utilising pensions now even if they don’t know the exact impact on ROI. It’s the tax free allowance and the personal allowance that I think have such an impact on the pension vs ISA debate that it means the wiki statement muddies the waters. Yes - if it was 0.8 now and 0.8 later, then it would make ISA and pensions more apples to apples - but it’s extremely common for it to actually be a comparison of 0.8 to 0.85 (if not better), so use your pension!

Shameless plug for another post I made which highlights the effective ROI of different retirement vehicles for different scenarions

Bonus: what about reaching a “financial independence” / “4% rule” sum faster

This is the idea that as long as you are withdrawing from your retirement fund less than it’s growing, you’ll never run out of money. So surely if you can get to some sum which allows for this perpetual growth faster, that means you can retire earlier right?

Well sort of. Again, if the rate of tax at the start was the same as the rate of tax at the end, then no actually this wouldn’t be true. Yes you might only need 15 years of pension contributions to meet some predetermined sum compared to 20 years of ISA contributions, but that’s misleading because you’d need a higher sum in the pension than the ISA because you need to withdraw more from it to get the same amount after tax. Example:

£10k needed per year to live

10% growth each year

BRT on pension withdrawals (we’re ignoring tax allowances for now)

Vehicle
Yearly draw down needed
Sum needed for FI

ISA (tax now (*0.8))
£10k
£100k

Pension (tax later (*0.8))
£12.5k
£125k

So assuming the same tax rate, there’s no difference in when you can start to drawn down. However, we’ve discussed at length that more than likely your retirement tax rate is less than your pre-retirement tax rate.

Vehicle
Yearly draw down needed
Sum needed for FI

ISA (tax now (*0.8))
£10k
£100k

Pension (tax later (*0.85))
£11.76k
£117.6k

A bit of mental gymnastics here because CBA to make the example more fleshed out, but in the example where tax in=tax out you needed £125k in the pension, whereas when tax in>tax out you only needed £117.6K, which is like 94% of the amount (and not quite 94% of the time because maths).

So the FI sum argument is identical to the tax now/later argument: if the rate of tax is the same then there is no difference when FI is reached, but if the rate of tax in retirement is lower then you reach FI sooner.

Edit: having reread the this wiki page (which contains the section on tax relief timing), I actually do think it does a good job of explaining the likely differences in rates. The final section which simplifies the tax relief maths is fine in the broader context

@roger5599 I appreciate the effort that went into this, although I think it’s unfair to say the wiki doesn’t cover this. In the specific link you posted it highlights that the timing of tax relief doesn’t matter for basic growth (your first points) but specifically says it does matter when you have different tax brackets and taking into account the allowances (your main closing point).

@joltor0517 I do agree and I do mention that the wiki does call it out. My complaint about how the wiki does it is more of an aesthetic issue, in that while it does technically get it's maths correct and it does technically highlight that it's the rates that are important, I don't think it's stresses enough that rates are almost guaranteed to be lower in retirement (and hence the in/out tax equation isn't strictly relevant) and it gets called out on a page that is comparing the tax efficiency of different vehicles. So my concern is it does more harm to the people it confuses by neutering pensions that it does good by catching people on something that in practice probably plays out similar to how they expect anyway. It's hard to articulate because depending on how clearly an individual understood either the wiki or what I'm saying now it will be more or less of an issue, but I remember my journey through this being "woah not only are pension tax benefits great but you get them now rather than later", and there is a modicum of truth to that if you look at the last part of my post about FI. The overall tax efficiency is higher than ISAs in nearly all cases, so the amount needed to contribute is lower, so it does kind of feel like there's a benefit to the "now" tax efficiency of pensions. The wiki makes ISAs and pensions seem more comparable really in terms of tax relief, and that's my issue ultimately

@joltor0517 You know what, I've reread the wiki, and actually if you read the whole page it does make it extremely clear. I think I was getting bogged down in just the final section specifically while it was being thrown around in another post I was reading, and it distracted me from how clear the rest of the page is. I'm going to update this post to reflect

@roger5599 Good post. I (and others) have been downvoted on several occasions for pointing out that you should be in the same position if you use an ISA for 10 years and then move it into a pension as putting it all into a pension now, even when you use the figures to back it up, because some on here are adamant that putting it into a pension sooner means more compounding.

@onefootinheavenoneinhell In 10 years the pot would probably be very significant in size, so wouldn’t this depend on whether you are able to get the same kind of tax relief on this big pot of money as you could if drip-feeding every year?

@skylos Nobody has a crystal ball, but if it's the same investment with the same charges, same growth and tax relief stays the same then it's the same uplift and you're in the same position regardless of when you move it across.

However, when people make this point and get downvoted the argument which is always made against it (by people who can't grasp basic maths) is that you should put it into the pension as soon as you can because you'll benefit more from compounding that way.

@onefootinheavenoneinhell If you were mid-forties now, could you save into a Vanguard S&S ISA until just before pension unlock age (57 by then) and transfer it into a Vanguard SIPP and get the 20% uplift in one fell swoop?

If this is the case, could you even do it later than 57, provided you weren't planning to initiate any pension drawdowns until afterwards?

Edit: just realised that my hypothesis would only work for cash, wouldn't it? An in species transfer probably wouldn't qualify for a 20% uplift...or would it?

@onefootinheavenoneinhell I agree with you but getting 10 years worth of ISA contributions into a pension may not be easy or the most tax efficient. As you may not make the most of Higher rate or additional tax relief during those previous 10 years. Depends on the exact numbers and earnings of the individual but it is a consideration. Again this is nothing to do with compounding but tax efficiency.

@roger5599 Thanks for this.

I’m miles away from pension age and I’m simply using pension to keep me out of the dreaded marginal rate. I know I need money for the future but don’t know what future tax rules will look like, so save away what I can till I have amassed a significant pot.

All of this post is based on today’s assumptions and whilst that’s the best you can do, I’m not betting on the rules being as they are today in 25 years time or whatever.

I’ve previously used pension to hold onto child benefit and to avoid the HRT bracket, when the numbers made sense to do so.

Maybe one day, income will be sufficient that I’m prepared to stomach the additional rate even. Until then, pension is for two reasons: saving for an unknown future set of rules, but to reduce my net adjusted income today.

@roger5599 Thanks for this.

I’m miles away from pension age and I’m simply using pension to keep me out of the dreaded marginal rate. I know I need money for the future but don’t know what future tax rules will look like, so save away what I can till I have amassed a significant pot.

All of this post is based on today’s assumptions and whilst that’s the best you can do, I’m not betting on the rules being as they are today in 25 years time or whatever.

I’ve previously used pension to hold onto child benefit and to avoid the HRT bracket, when the numbers made sense to do so.

Maybe one day, income will be sufficient that I’m prepared to stomach the additional rate even. Until then, pension is for two reasons: saving for an unknown future set of rules, but to reduce my net adjusted income today.

@outofthedarkness Future tax rules for any savings vehicle can change. Pensions aren’t unique in this. Look at the recent changes in the personal savings allowance

You should only work on the current and known rules for your planning. Ignoring something because of ifs and buts is crazy.

@neenah I didn’t say pensions were unique to this, but a pension is unique in that it is tied up for many years (depending on your age) so planning for its use is more difficult due to the longer timeline.

If rules on ISAs changed tomorrow I could draw it all out. If the same happened to pension, it’s unlikely I can touch it.

I’m not ignoring pension at all, far from it if you read my post properly. I’m saying, pension is useful to me today to manage my levels of taxation. And I am simply worrying less about how it’ll be drawn down or become usable to me, until later when it is more relevant.

@neenah I don't necessarily agree.

There is patently a trend in the increase of the minimum pension withdrawal age. That is a significant concern for me. I don't see any such trend in a worsening position of ISAs. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to factor this into my investment planning, by putting more weight on ISAs than I otherwise might.

@rome1453 ISA contributions are basically being fiscally dragged and effectively getting smaller and smaller every year. Just because nothing is being specifically done legislation wise does not mean ISA are protected.

I'm not saying whether you should favour ISA over pension that's due to the individuals needs and wants, what I am saying is don't let future if and buts factor into this decision, work to what you know, not what might occur, because if your imagined scenario doesn't occur you may have not been as tax efficient as you could have been

@roger5599 You admit the calculations are simplistic, which is true because for most people what matters is personal allowance. You'd pay 20% tax on the whole shebang now but only 20% on some (possibly none) if you use a pension.

Of course higher/additional rate payers will save a bundle (paying 0-20% later instead of 40-45% now), so it's hugely worth it for them.

Also salary sacrificing into pension can reduce your taxable income such that you get other benefits (like child benefit or nursery fee help).

@weakdruggy67 No. If you earn £30k gross and put £1k in an ISA then that's £1.2k you could've put into a workplace pension and still have the same take home pay remaining. £1.32k if your workplace pension is salary sacrifice.

@roger5599 Hi!

I was one of the people who replied to the other post you refer to, talking about tax relief timing.

This is a helpful post for those who struggle with the non-intuitive and conceptual point around the timing issue, so thanks for that.

I personally don't think the Wiki falls short in its explanation. And I also don't think it's fair to say that pointing out that there is no compounding/timing benefit with pensions is an oversimplification. It's a fact. It's an entirely separate fact from the fact that there are significant benefits associated with pensions (TFLS and marginal tax rates). As long as nobody is claiming they don't exist, I don't see a problem there.

But ISAs of course have their own advantages, and each person should weigh up what's best for them.