Why is O&P so controversial for GC’s?

calledandchosen

Honest question. I always feel like I’m asking for something extra when it’s built into the premiums that the PH pay monthly on their RCV policy calculated during the underwriting process.

Xactware white papers detail this as well as the book “property loss adjusting”.

I could understand if you’re not actually a GC but rather a specific trade that has in house services (plumber doing plumbing, roofing company with in house crews, etc.) but if I’m hired as a GC to hire crews, manage the work, and warranty a project I don’t see any literature saying that O&P should be withheld or that specific criteria must be met. I build my contracts to include 10 & 10 and the homeowners I work with always agree to it in the final scope.

Open to dialogue, is this an internal policy or something actually written into the PH’s contract?

@calledandchosen I don’t have a problem paying “reasonable” costs, which is the language built into the policy. Some GCs just don’t know how to charge a “reasonable” price and get caught taking advantage of an unsuspecting homeowner.

@calledandchosen It's only some GC's that get crazy and make everyone look bad. They do off the wall stuff like try to claim O&P + supervisor hours on a residential project for electrical and drywall.

If it's a true GC coordinating multiple trades, I'll be the first to say that O&P is warranted.

My state even wrote it into the claim settlement laws saying O&P is to be paid when reasonable.

@resjudicata Yeah these contractors get super salty and defensive if you ask for them.

"Our pricing is proprietary!"

Like my brother, you're trying to bill us using Xact pricing, don't piss on my leg and try to tell me it's raining.

@calledandchosen i think if you're meeting the three trade rule and getting pushback on 10 & 10, that's crazy and bordering on bad faith

if you're running plumbing & drywall or deck rebuild or fence jobs, well that's a different story lol

@ifitry It’s usually like this:
Roof
Gutters
Windows
Interior

See roof and gutters getting lumped as one trade often. None of my roofing crews want to touch gutters and the gutters are made to order and installed by the manufacturer so to me that’s a separate trade.

I’ll also see where O&P will be added to all trades except the roof / gutters. Always interesting. Where did the 3 trade rule come from? Just trying to educate myself and most policies I read just say “when a GC would reasonably be hired”, seems to be a grey area on who it’s reasonable to. Never see any documentation that says it must be 3, I’ve just found 3 to be the number like you pointed out.

@calledandchosen yeah i think it's just an "unwritten rule" kind of thing; i don't have any knowledge that it's actually been adjudicated

my common sense brain says the rule should really be "three or more trades that need to be coordinated" based on kinda what's reasonable

take a siding and windows claim for example -- there is coordination needed between those two subs, but realistically the homeowner can just tell siding guy "abc windows will come in when you're done; can you shoot him and me a text confirming your date so he can get me on the schedule the next day?" no o&p there

but consider siding, windows, and fence -- that's three trades, but there's no coordination with the fence guy, so o&p isn't reasonable imo

but roof, gutters (or even roof/gutters), windows, interior? yeah, there's a significant amount of coordination of the work, not to mention inspections and shit, so o&p quite justified there

but i suppose until this gets adjudicated, rules of thumb are all anyone has to go off

@calledandchosen Typically I operate on whether there are three overlapping trades.

A roof will almost always never overlap with any other trades, and can typically be done whenever. So there's nothing to coordinate. In my experience, the roofers will do the gutters, as well. So a single non overlapping trade.

I always give 10/10 on interior claims (floor, drywall, paint, etc)

Unless it's like, just flooring/baseboard only.

Ill throw a bone and give it on siding/window, especially if we are far apart on pricing and I want the claim to go away. But if it is just siding, no windows, then unlikely. There's nothing to coordinate.

I laugh when companies like "John's Roofing LLC" cry for O&P on a roof only job. I'm like, bro, you have roofing in your name, you are the contractor doing the work...

@calledandchosen In this case roofing is a one trade job, you call a roofing company they replace your roof. What coordination do you use as a GC for the gutters and flashing? Can they be done individually post roof? The insured could also call a siding company and a gutter company if needed. O and P for roofs is rare unless structural damage like a tree through it. Are your prices inflated? Xact without o and p for roof is greater than most roofers in my area other than insurance ones.

@resjudicata Flashing on the roof gets handled by the roofers, as it’s directly tied into the system. Gutters are made to order and installed by a separate trade. This has to be coordinated with the tear off and installation of the roof so they aren’t damaged or filled with construction debris. Prices aren’t inflated just the price set forth by xactimate which doesn’t factor in over head and profit, just material and labor from what I understand.

The confusion on my side comes from there not being any language in the policy the homeowner is paying for that dictates number of trades or specific trades being excluded. Seems to depend on who the adjuster is that day and what they feel is reasonable or not. Never any consistency or anything in the policy they can point to that supports the decision. From what I can tell RCV underwriting factors in GCO&P as part of the premium paid by the PH.