Why invest at all when fixed-rate savings account are so high? [6-month "update"]

@goof I'm not saying it's better to invest in property, but you're not taking into account the huge factor of the increase in value of the property.

@mrsc49017 Thanks, I was looking for something like this. The trend (red line) is going up, meaning house prices increasing in real terms (higher than inflation). I get that the there was a peak in 2007 but looking at the trend, I think it's a reasonable assumption to make that house prices rise higher than the rate of inflation.

@goof i never get the logic of categorising mortgage repayments as negative cost. you’re basically getting someone else to pay off the house for you

@imsome you’re still getting someone to pay the interest, and as interest only mortgages have lower repayments you will be also partially getting money to save towards the final payment

@lize Money is fungible, doesn't really matter if you see it as the tenant paying the interest or the landlord. It's still a cost that has to be paid in relation to the property so arguably does reduce profit.

The final repayment will likely be made through the sale of the property. People use BTL for income not long term growth as there are far better options for that.