Why do financial statements for quarter ended 30.6.2019 have columns for year ended 31.03.2019 and 30.6.2018

ayu415

https://www.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachHis/b99dc47e-6bf0-4a12-b7e3-fca63d2a22fa.pdf

Shouldn't the results for quarter ended 30.6.2019 be the same as year ended 30.6.2019 - the financial stmt is a snapshot of what's happening within the companies books?

He's also listed the previous quarter's data i.e. 31.3.2019 wrt 30.6.2019. Why then has he given the results for 30.6.2018 - a whole year back - I thought the results were for quarters??

---

Also, comparing all the results with what screener.in displays - they don't match up. What's in the PDF does not match screener output: The profit is as shown in the pdf How is screener calculating profit???

@ayu415 This is for comparison. Whenever you analyze financials, there is 1) current quarter vs previous quarter 2) current quarter vs same quarter of previous financial year. Hence

@ayu415 Those are disclosure requirements As per the IndAS and companies act 2013 for the interim financial statements.

Made in order to give you a QoQ comparision with previous quarter and a QOQ comparision with relevant quarter of last financial year, plus a comparison to the year ended figures

@ayu415 QoQ to show progress from previous quarter
YoY to show cyclicality of the business, if any, and hence comparison from same quarter previous year.

@ayu415 When you say "Shouldn't the results for quarter ended 30.6.2019 be the same as year ended 30.6.2019" I think you have misunderstood a few things. The income statement and cash flow statement will definitely change because:
  1. Income statements tracks revenues and expenses - obviously changes on a per quarter basis
  2. Cash flow statements tracks actual cash movement - again obviously changes on a per quarter basis
You might be confused about balance sheets because they track assets and liabilities and that is generally described with the same words you used - "snapshot" of a company's books. But note that cash, accounts and owner's equity (which tracks retained earnings) also change on a per quarter even if every other major heading stays the same. But you can buy/sell off property, take loans etc. which disturb assets/liabilities as well so you can't also rely on them staying stagnant over quarters.

To test it out logically yourself, think about this - if being a snapshot means that it should be fixed, wouldn't the snapshot hold at every point, i.e., the balance sheet should remain the same for the entire lifetime of the company?