Whom should I file a claim against in a 3-car collision where I am the front car taking a rear-end impact?

omatrisha

I was involved in a 3-car crash where I was the front vehicle and was rear ended while waiting on a pedestrian. I asked both drivers if I was struck by the second car first, or if the third vehicle pushed the second car into me. The driver of the 3rd vehicle admitted to pushing the second vehicle into me, and I was only impacted once, which coincides with this. No police report was filed.

Should I file a damage claim against car #2 that physically struck me? the third vehicle who pushed car #2 into me (and admitted as much)?, or both and let the their insurance companies figure it out?

@omatrisha The easiest way is to file with your own and make it their problem to sort out since it's not necessarily simple. If that's not an option, file with the third vehicle and see what happens. It's entirely possible that they don't have enough limits to cover the damage to both cars.

@davelew86 I'm only covered with liability, so no help from my own insurance there. So you're suggesting filing with the 3rd vehicles insurance? Ok.

I wasn't sure whether to do that, or file against the car that was pushed into me, or both being that there was no police report. Like if I filed against both and said "this guy hit me" and let them sort it out with their investigation. And although the 3rd driver admitted to being the cause, I want to be prepared in case he turns around and denies anything being that I have no proof, only his word.

This is my first multi-vehicle crash and was told these can be a headache. Mental note to self... get a police report next time.