who is considered a u.s person for tax purposes? interactive brokers japan registration

tugg

Hi folks. Noob here. I am a U.S citizen living in japan and I am trying register for a interactive brokers japan account.

I live, work and receive all my income from japanese sources, and 0 from the US. When I fill in the personal information on the Interactive brokers japan website to open an account, I get to the last page and under the area where you confirm you agree with the information provided, it says that

'' I confirm that I am a non-U.S person"

I know there can be differences between citizen, resident etc. but to my knowledge I am a U.S person.

anyone of you fine folks understand what is happening?
  1. is my understanding of what a U.S person is incorrect?
  2. is interactive brokers japan not for us citizens living and working in Japan?
  3. Any suggested course of actions I should take??
any help would be greatly appreciated.

@tugg
  1. My understanding is that basically you are a US person for tax purposes if you are a citizen, as they retain taxation rights and require certain cooperation from international financial institutions.
  2. I think interactive brokers is for anyone. They just happen to be the best option for US persons.
  3. Select the option and open the account?

@tugg You missed something. During the process you should’ve been asked for other tax residencies. There you would list the US and provide your Social Security number.

@tugg I called support for you, they said that "There is a problem with the new account registration page. In the first page where it asks if you have a My Number Card select "No" and later on in the process it will ask for tax numbers, you can add multiple. Choose Japan and insert your My Number, then additionally select US and put your SSN."

After doing this, the site let me sign up without making me state that "I am not a US person" (because I am, so that would be a lie).

@drew777 sorry for the very late reply. I appreciate your help, very kind of you. I ran into lots of problems and called them multiple times myself. But thanks so much for calling them and answering my question!