Which plan to choose?

@littie Based on 24 paychecks and family in-network coverage:

OAP: Annual Premium $5,261.16 + $9,900 OOP max = $15,151.15 ($3,100 ded)

Core HDHP: Annual Premium $4585.20 + $7,100 OOP max = $11,685.20, less the $2,618 company HSA contribution, so basically $9,067.20 ($4,000 ded)

Alternate HDHP: Annual Premium $2,178.72 + $10,300 OOP max = $12,478.72 less the $4,058 company HSA contribution = $8,420.72 ($6,200 ded)

The costs are your total possible annual costs. Must meet your deductible first with the HDHP plans, so you are paying a contracted rate on everything until you meet that deductible. So, for instance, if you go to the doctor and the charge/claim to insurance is for $250 and the contracted rate is $200, you will pay $200.

I agree with you regarding the alternate HDHP. You will also want to contribute to the HSA if you can. And, one thing I would do is to try and keep back somewhere, either in a savings account or in the HSA itself, is to keep enough to pay that $6,200 deductible if needed. One trip to the ER and you'd probably need to use quite a bit of it.

@christeveanity For max scenario, alternative makes the most sense. Are there sweet spots that other two plans favor more?

This year, my wife had a surgery and would benefit the most if we chose alternative. But the max hasn't been the case over the last 5 years except my son's birh year. From experience, HDHP made us less incentivized to see a doctor.

I like the idea of HSA and have it from my current employer plan. What I shared is regarding a new empoyer plan upcoming in March. I see HDHP+HSA more for young ppl and OAP more for older ppl.

@littie The fact that office visits are covered with just a copay (not subject to the deductible) is a huge plus for OAP if you think you’ll have a lot of office visits (other than the preventive schedule). Same with lab work, urgent care, even ER.