Which minerals in India e.g. Coal, Aluminium etc have the greatest concentration of their ores in one-two mines?

willby

I'm trying to carry out an exercise to understand which mines determine the majority of the output of an ore. This is to be able to take fundamental calls on the production company. Is something like this possible to do? Any experience

@willby The best you can do is triangulate the statewise mineral production statistics compiled by Indian Bureau of Mines. You can get some additional data about principal producers from the mineral reviews, but those are not updated monthly.

We don't have the equivalent of EIA data where production statistics are available at the level of individual mines; e.g. the Coal data browser where you can drill down to individual mines. For that, you'll have to get production data from the mine owners. In the case of coal, you'll have to dig up the physical performance data from Coal India subsidiaries, for example, South Eastern Coalfields publishes region-wise production data, where you can confirm the numbers for Gevra (India's largest coal mine). You'll have to do this for every company (listed or unlisted) that has been issued a mining license.

@willby If you just want superficial analysis on how much production is concentrated in a single player, check out the mineral reviews published by IBM. Like the other comment mentions, you'll find that Hindustan Zinc is the principal producer of Lead and Zinc concentrates.