Whether one should have a credit card or not?

@blueblood You will need a full fledged savings bank account with Axis Bank with 15,000 average monthly balance to get a credit card. No way to get it against FD without that.

@blueblood You can but only after you open a savings account with Axis first. I tried doing what you described but that just wasted a month. The incompetent branch employees told me it's possible without a bank account, but then made me open one eventually. I speak from (harrowing) experience.

@tressalie Understood. I would then try opening the savings account from my hometown so that the monthly average balance requirement would be less. What do you think?

@blueblood That sounds like a solid idea. Just make sure the employees understand what you're trying to do before opening the account.

One branch I visited straight up refused to look into it, while the other was overconfident that a FD-linked CC doesn't need a savings account.

Oh also, you can only get the Flipkart and MyZone cards on FD.

@tressalie
  1. is it possible to later close the account?
  2. is there fixed period after which the lien is removed or does it depend on bank?
  3. 80% fd limit provided by axis?
  4. axis asap acc okay or full fledged saving only?

@jinete When such a thing happens, the current customers are not charged that fee. If someone got the card when they were offering no annual fee, that is how it will remain.

In case they do start charging, call them up and tell them you are not willing to pay the fee. They'll drop it almost immediately if you have good history with the bank and a good credit score.