Where are those super salaries in excess of 200k USD coming from in the US and do such opportunities exist in Europe?

@mikedo You’re 100% correct. Personally, i’m looking to move. Singapore or switzerland are the current options. Germany does absolutely everything to try and kill startup owners and investors and tax the fuck out of them. IMO germany is going to be worse in next 10y. It’s too old and conservative.

@mikedo You couldn’t be more off regarding Spain.

•300k gets you a 80-90sqm apartment near the 2-3 top cities in Spain.

• Average 18C? Yes maybe in the Canary Islands. Go to the north of Spain and you have worse weather than in the south of Germany. Go to the south and you have scolding weather 3-4 months a year where you can’t leave your home and have to survive with your air conditioning at 18ºC. Siesta wasn’t invented for nothing.

• Cost of living in Spain, especially in Madrid and Barcelona is equal or higher than in most parts of Germany. My friends from Madrid are amazed of why things are so cheap here in the south of Germany.

• Now as for Portugal I can’t say much because I don’t know much about it, but what you mentioned could be close to reality, albeit exaggerated.

@fredbird67 When you’re on this level, the cost of an apartment or groceries does not really matter. The only thing that is important are the tax percentages on corporate, capital gains etc.

@fredbird67 Houses in Spain, to the best of my knowledge, are much cheaper than in Portugal. And I can assure you I know the Portuguese market very well.

You should note I mentioned 20-40min from the main cities. That's 25-60km away with standard roads, maybe less with direct highways.

But Madrid and Barcelona are very overpriced and I wouldn't be surprised the suburban market exploded recently. It hasn't yet in Portugal.

@mikedo If they are much more expensive in Portugal than in Spain, then I’m afraid your statement is incorrect.

I come from a city bordering Madrid (still 30mins by car most of the days sue to traffic), where 65sqm apartments built in the 70’s are priced at €150k and were priced at €240k during the 2008 bubble.

I can assure you you can’t buy anything close to what you meant close to Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao or Valencia. Maybe 60km away could do the trick but you can also buy those kinds of homes 60km away from Berlin, being both places in the middle of nowhere hahaha

I have to say people think Spain is hella cheap and that’s unfortunately false. And I say unfortunately because when you take into account what people make in Spain, one realizes people struggle financially.

@fredbird67 Well, real estate market aside, the reason people "struggle" in these tail-of-Europe countries, which also goes for Italy and Greece for instance, is because we are highly-efficient "educator" countries without the infrastructure investment to keep a heavy services-oriented economy to the level that Germany, Switzerland, UK or others have. We also do not have free oil, natural resources, or majorly cheap labour from abroad to come do menial tasks for us at a fraction of cost (because of local immigration policies). And for the types of work we do make a lot of added value, we rely on foreign companies to exploit our own human resources here, directly, due to open trade the EU allows too. We let a lot of riches get out the country for cheap.

But individuals who get their shit together and actually manage to perform heavy-paying tasks for themselves no matter the region are, is exactly what countries such as ours need. They take money from much richer countries, spending close to no resources, and restore that balance in local investment and taxation, even if taxation is smaller.

But honestly, I don't think we are still in a scenario where we "struggle". There are much worse countries, even in Europe. We are just spoiled by a globalized mindset where we are bombarded with The American Dream lifestyles in media and can't cope with the fact the world isn't like that for everyone. It's not sustainable for long.

@mikedo Don’t forget politicians. Decades of bad politics (not in Portugal right now, the government is applying good ones now) have brought the country to a very tight situation.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Spain leaves the EU in 5-10 years once the debt crisis explodes.

@fredbird67 Unfortunately, just this week our extreme left tiped new elections with the blockade of the yearly budget. The proposed budget was actually one of the most social-focused of the last 2 decades, but these extreme left parties (especially the Communist party) wanted to egotistically take advantage of results of recent municipal elections (mostly against extreme right parties, even though Lisboa was lost to center-right) to maybe grow a bit on the parliament. Now we Portuguese get stuck with a lame duck government, month-by-month, compromises-ONLY budget that has to be validated every month on parliament until new government takes seat - a budget that has no mid-long term perspective for all the money the EU has printed for us due to the pandemic.

But even worse than that, these elections will likely result in a supermajority for the center PS (minorly-left and heavily corrupt, just like PSD) who leads the country right now... Gee, thanks alt-left and alt-right for inducing this. That's exactly what those who voted for you wanted to happen!