Where and how much funds to put to get 200k payout every month?

emily51501

As the title says, the aspiration is to receive 200k/month interest for a lifetime from funds deposited in a solid financial institution. I’d really like to hear the advice of the financially savvy on a) how much to put?, and b) where?

Obviously, a loooot of money will trickle down 200k monthly, maybe even more. The challenge is in allocating the least amount to get to this magic number. Bank td rates are currently at 6%++ net and dropping, but I read everywhere here about interest rates north of 7%. Where???

As the goal is perpetual, the length or duration of the term or period is unimportant, so long as the interest is again, paid out monthly. So no compounding, no real estate invesment, etc etc.

Edited to add:

Starting a business, even with a generous 25%-30% statistical chance of being successful after 5 years, is also not an option in this query.

@emily51501 As they say more reward more risk; and as the cliche goes there is no such thing as a free lunch. In finance speak there is always a tradeoff.

So let's start with your 200k/month, that's 2.4M a year.

Let's start at the bottom of the spectrum, say you get 4% net of witholding. That's achievable, some big banks can give you 4.25% net. So you need about 60M pesos. For an amount this big you need to go to big banks, digibank compliance will go crazy.

Let's add a little more risk, say for ease of computation we want an 8% net yield. That means to get your 200k a month we now need 30M from 60M. What can you put your money in? It's a stretch but maybe REITS, so what's the trade off? You may have momentary unrealized capital losses but long term you should be fine. Also you won't be paid monthly but semi annually or annually.

Let's push the envelope a little more. Let's say you want 12% return. So for your 200k a month you now only need 20M. This is where I have been putting funds lately. I have been buying San Miguel Power Perpetual Securities. These are dollar securities traded in Singapore. What's the risk - they aren't required to pay the coupon. Also these in USD not peso, I prefer to hold my funds in dollars not pesos over long term but there is a forex risk. Payments are semi annual. Overall much riskier then REITs and time deposits but I can still sleep at night. I have done my homework which is too long to discuss here.

Beyond 12% I doubt there is any fixed income or quasi fixed income securities. Maybe Chinese property firms at massive discounts. Simply put, your risks are equity like.

@emily51501 Well I bought quite a bit; about 25% of my portfolio is in this so my opinion is biased but at least I literally put my money where my mouth is.

So what could go wrong?

One is they don't make enough money to pay their obligations. So even if they want to pay they can't. You need to follow the power industry, know if they are making enough money. You should also be aware of a dispute with the government. in a nutshell they broke their fixed contract with the government and now sell in the open market at a much higher price. Government is suing them but I think RSA will win, not on the merits but because he is RSA.

Second is they can pay but choose not too. I don't think so because SMC is borrowing massively and even the hint of this will spook the markets.

Finally I have some intel that the big holders of debt are SMC employees.

All in all I can sleep at night. Bear in mind the market is zero sum, so if I am buying at a 12% yield someone is selling at a 12% yield so whatever I said they will probably say the exact opposite. I could be wrong and I tell my friends am not telling you what to do, just telling you what I have done and it's your lookout. But if we all lose money we can drink San Miguel beer together 🍻

@childofgod4493 Appreciate the forthright explanation. Feels like walking into a private group’s gentleman’s agreement sealed with a handshake, tapos babakas lang ako. My take could be off but that’s a beginners honest pov. You are right about not putting all the eggs in this basket.