When do you feel that your salary is “enough”?

@athaddeus Median income in the US is around $45k, while most studies have found most American's don't have a meaningful increase in their sense of satisfaction in earning until $75k, where beyond $120k, satisfaction really levels off. My opinion is that these feelings are largely a consequence of when a person's income level allows them to cover their basic needs, have an amount of disposable income to enjoy some amount of luxuries and cover their need for retirement investments to such a degree that they can achieve a comparable quality of life in retirement.

While people will typically think of CS jobs as "high" paying, the reality is that in general 'market rate' salaries across the board under pay employees as a consequence of statistical clustering in a sort of unspoken collusion by published statistics. Even at average companies trying to compete but still using an average salary as a basis for compensation, they're going to lag behind the reality of what is due compensation. Salaries are generally in this state of stagnation with a mounting tide of inflation coming. I would suggest you get what you can and if you get tired of doing what you're doing you'll at least have more than you would have had otherwise and that will buy you the luxury of time to reassess your needs. The real life advice is being self aware enough to know when you're ready to move on.

What you're compensated also has to account for the fact that you might not see any kind of salary increase for years, where by with inflation diminishing your earnings each year your level of earnings have to average out over the time frame until you reasonably can expect a raise. And if you don't think you ever will "enough" has to be a lot more. Even if you're completely satisfied at $80k a year, if you aren't thinking about how you'll get that up to $100k over the next 10-15 years, you'll wake up one day with a quality of life below what you had when you first started making $80k.

I see these sort 'humble' questions asked more often by younger people... there is a certain engrained naivety to it that companies love exploiting to pay people less than what should be reasonable. Lets reframe the notion of your question around how CEO's and executives pose it for their own benefit... "If I make the company a million dollars profit, how much of that should I get?" If your individual work makes your employer a million dollars in profit and you're only paid $35k, you're very likely not being paid enough. That situation is one where you could in theory go off with your experience and start working for yourself.

@darrellll I gave my kids class in 2nd grade an introduction to lying via statics using CS salaries. The median for X is this. In reality, in this town it's y (half of X), but the rent on a house is 1200 vs the 5 k a month my friend pays in the bay area. They wanted parents to come in and talk about their fields and I started the kids off with the fact that my job didn't exist when I was there age and turned it into a lesson on how they can make their own tech jobs. ;-)

Apparently I was the hit parent for the week.

@dshope I really think its one of those things more people should be conscious about. Data is powerful, but there are certain aspects to how its used that create a kind of feed back loop allowing a certain kind of collusive consequence. Jobs salary data is a lot of ways like that, its something like a product's msrp in that it causes the different prices different companies set for a thing to cluster around it. However across the board increases in salaries are often times driven by the greatest deviation from an average. So when standard deviation of salaries are low, from companies following some 'norm', increases in salaries are typically flatter, and wages stagnate. We become slaves to the statistics.

I think if there were a modernized sort of Home Ec course in schools what you're talking about should really need to be included. It doesn't matter if companies are well intentioned or just perfectly happy to exploit people, they generally aren't going to help you understand this kind of impact on your life. In some of the professional CS r/ you always see questions about people asking if 'X' salary is good, and its always just so relative to 'where' they would be working. And without being dismissive you really want to say 'come on, you should know this' or 'this is how you can find out'.

@darrellll And statics can be changed depending on how you model them. I would be all for a modern course that has basics of real life economics and home care would be good. We need to teach how to find information, not just facts. Because the world changes and grows.

@dshope I agree. When I get asked by others about how to get into CS, I always say 90% of being successful is learning to be curious, how to learn, and find information. But really that's just how to be successful in anything, life in general or managing money.

@mishsill Not complaining, I didn't mean for my post to come off like that. There's that nagging feeling that's been with me that I'm still catching up to my peers. But, as many have said here, I ought to stop comparing!

And thinking about the next 2-3 years and a possible pay bump is a nice thought to get me out of my rut.

@mishsill I don't really agree man, I was similar to him, salary doubled after getting my MS...but after 6 months, I applied to a job that boosted it another 50% plus paid a 10% bonus and gave equity. That place even let me work remote after awhile. I am really happy I applied to that job just 6 months in! To OP: It can't hurt to apply and see what else is available