What's my next move? ~500k bursary debt

@doomicross a few things:
  1. Minors may not contract without guardians-express or implied consent. Will depend on what you signed up for and how it was done
  2. Debt may have prescribed - depends on when it became due and if you have acknowledged the debt at all during this time (3 yrs after became due and last acknowledgement = prescribed*)
  3. If prescriptions of National Credit act weren't followed(depends again) you may also have a case- pretty gnarly debts have been thrown out because of skipping this.
Lawyers, not the internet would be a good place to go for specific advice taking into account your circumstances

*depends- can be up to 30yrs depending on type of debt. See Prescription act

@doomicross Don't acknowledge the debt. Rather educate yourself on the claims they're making by visiting a lawyer that can assist you. The cost involved with a lawyer VS having to pay that debt off - incomparable.

This way, the debtay be prescribed. But should they decide to draw it out and hound you like most people collecting a debt, you'd be educated in responding to them.

Get your hands on the contract, and then to save costs get one of these consults for R180,00 for the best advice. Lawyer Direct

@beulahshalom So I found lawyers but they definitely want to see the contract while meeting. Could anyone say if it's safe for me to respond to the email requesting payment asking for a copy of the contract? That's what I think I'll do. The alternative is a lawyer requests it on my behalf but I wouldn't want them to immediately hand the account over to attorneys when they get a request from a lawyer and I'm the client.

I think this conversation is now straying away from what's allowed in this sub but yeah, I think me contacting them letting them know this is the first communication I'm receiving and would like to review the cancellation conditions of the contract would be my best bet. Then I would have a copy of the contract to actually discuss with a lawyer.

@doomicross Send them something to the gist of
Good day, I am unsure of the debt you are referring to and the reason I am being asked to pay this. Please share with me the relevant documents that indicate my liability, and a copy of the contract that I have supposedly signed.

@doomicross Do not pay! Debt prescribes after 3 years - even if the company assures you it doesn't. If you make a payment, it resets the clock. Respond to the company that according to law, their claim has prescribed and is no longer enforcable.