What U.S. Bank Will Allow Me to Open an Account as an Expat?

777qi7

Hi!

I'm working on my tax forms and need a U.S. bank account for any returns. Are there any digital banks that won't require me to have a phone number to open an account - I at least have a family member's address I can use and that I do send random mail too. But I left the U.S. as a teenager and have limited national IDs or identifiers beyond my passport, SSN, and birth certificate.

How about Varo Bank, Chime, or N26?

Thanks very much!

P.S. I don't think Transferwise (now Wise) has the jurisdiction it used to in my current country of residence.

@sharonleesanders Thanks for this! It would have been interesting to register, but I only have my SSN as a number and don't have access to the physical card - so I don't meet their requirements.

@aussiealways How does google voice number work if you don't have an existing US phone number? Asking cuz I plan on retiring abroad and Capital One 360 says I'll have to close my account if I leave the country (lose US number). What to do?

@cdaughtry I ported my US cell phone number to Google voice when I moved abroad. This way I always have a US cell phone number, and it’s the same one I’ve had forever so friends can still get in touch.

@lemonbalm Looked at that, seems unclear on the actual cost per month, and when should one set it up pre-departure? Please share any other details on using it. Thanks!

@cdaughtry I’m not using it for my actual cell service, so it’s free. Phone calls go right to voicemail, which forwards to the app on my phone, and text messages come through the app as well. I did it right before canceling my old service so I could port my old number. I’m not sure if there were subtleties that I might have missed about doing it before departing (I did it a week after because I still was using my old cell provider while transitioning)

@cdaughtry Exactly. I think I can use it to call with the web interface but haven’t actually tried. Also, I’m on an iPhone. I’ve heard it works much better when you’re on an android, but can’t speak to that.

@lemonbalm Fully agree with this. Google Voice is a great tool to keep a US number, so that you can reached by US banks etc., while being abroad. And on top you can call family and friends for free in the US.

@777qi7 You could buy a US Skype number in any area code and then have the Skype calls forwarded to your foreign telephone number (or receive the calls in the Skype app on phone or computer).

@jamesc Ally Bank is great, but in my experience will reject you outright if they can't verify your identity online (they don't even bother to ask you to identify in another way), so you really need to have credit score etc. I know cases where people were rejected several times, until they had 1-2 credit cards open that reported to all three credit bureaus and suddenly Ally would open the account with no problem...

@777qi7 You should know that most banks use your credit report to identify you if you want to open an account online (on top, you typically need to use a VPN). Therefore, things will become much easier once you have 1-2 credit cards open and associated to your US address (via family members). You could even ask those family members to add you as authorized users on their credit card accounts (they don't need to give you the card, so there is zero risk for them, but it will boost your credit score a bit). Regarding building a US credit history from outside of the US, have a look at this article.

Now the main question is how you can get started. While the other recommendations regarding opening an account with a foreign address etc. are excellent, longterm it will be the easiest if you can open an account, while visiting the US and being present at the respective address. Once you have your first bank account with this address, you can use the bank statement to prove your mailing address to other banks when needed. Regarding keeping track of your credit score and accounts, have a look at this article.