What to do with UK investments before moving home

elrefale

Irish person. U.K. resident / employed

The buzz around ETFs and how they are taxed back home has been eye opening for me in the past few weeks.

I have an account with Hargreaves and Lansdown whilst residing in N.I. as far as taxes are concerned.
I'm now hoping to move back to Ireland again (for personal reasons).

My job is with a U.K based company and I work remotely. I will most likely move to a new company before the year's end who will also be U.K based but have the option of being paid in Euros (something I'd prefer to simplify things).

So on the whole:
- Stocks and Shares ISA with recurring payments and auto-investing from my U.K bank account
- Employed by a U.K company
- Hoping to move home for the foreseeable (at least 2-3 years)
- Now wondering what I should do with my S&S ISA / savings accounts / and bond that is yet to mature.
- Do I eat the penalties/close them/sell them?
- Can I keep my investments going but reduce the amount to well under the £20K allowance in the U.K? (Obviously clearing it with H&L first)

Any help is much appreciated.

@elrefale If you are going to become tax resident in Ireland then you might be better off cashing in your Isa as you won’t be taxed on any cash you bring to Ireland whereas you would probably be liable for 41% tax in Ireland for funds in a uk Isa. That’s what I did when I was in a similar situation. You also will have to pay dirt tax on any uk interest earned.

@calvingiovanni Thanks a lot! Seems absolutely crazy to me there is no minimum annual allowance for "normal" people.

Hypothetically, if I were to return to the UK within the 8 year window is that tax still owed? Or say on the off chance the policy changes, do you think it's worthwhile holding onto my small amount and see how it plays out in the next 8 years?