What to do with $125K right now?

nick220

I'm sitting too heavy in cash right now after selling a rental property and I'm not sure what to do with about $125K. What say you, Reddit?

Here's some background on my situation.
  • 35 yrs old, married, 3 kids
  • Single income family
  • Active duty military (enlisted) with about 6 years until military retirement (approx. $2,700/mo)
  • Investments: $580K in Roth accounts (401(K) & IRAs maxed out)/ $87K in taxable account
  • Debt: $163K mortgage @ 3% (will sell home, worth $280K, within next 6 years)
  • Vehicles are paid off (2019 & 2020 models)
  • Finishing masters degree in December, no desire to get a PhD.
  • Kids' college is already covered under both Federal and State G.I. Bills
The million dollar question, what should I do with the $125K sitting in cash right now?

@nick220 That's not a million dollar question. Bwahahaha

You don't mention how much cash you have on hand besides the 125k.
  1. keep an emergency fund in cash in the bank. NFCU?
  2. Take the rest and either add it to your taxable account, plunk it on the mortgage, or both.
I'm guessing y'all are more inclined to reduce the mortgage. With as high as the market is currently, that would be my inclination too.

@nick220 Series I savings bonds yield 5.33 percent for exactly 1 year if you buy before October 29th at Treasury Direct. Annual purchase limits are $10k per individual or $20k per married couple. If you cash out before 5 years, lose the last 3 months of interest. Seeing as the bank pays you less than 0.5 percent this is a no brainer even with a 1 year lock-up. Treasurydirect.gov

@nick220 You are missing something: The I bond rate is set every six months based on the net change in the CPI-U index calculated by the Department of Labor economists. The 3.54 percent rate is the rate calculated from October 2020 to April 2021. Its an annualized rate based on 6 months. The next six months is May to October 2021 - that rate is 7.12 percent. Add 3.54 + 7.12 divide by 2 = 5.33 percent

@nick220 Buy another home but in a place where you’d like to live after your retirement in 6 years. Airbnb or rent it out until then (let it pay for itself and increase in value), then you have a place to move after you sell current house (but then you’ll be in the same situation with a stack of cash).

@wicowgirl4christ This has been the dream the last few years. We'd love to have somewhere to go back to when we take leave, too. Especially as a family of 5, it's hard to stay with family anymore.

Just haven't found the right property yet to Air BnB in a location where we may return to in six years.

@nick220 What’s you and your wife’s passion ? Maybe look into that. I would help less fortunate somehow, travel and invest the rest in good solid companies.

@nick220 i would of never sold the rental but thats in the past now,

start a side business, put away 40k for the following 2022 year to max out roth ira, 401k, HSA and then use the rest to increase income.

@resjudicata I sold the rental for a 50% gain after 3 years of owning it. It's in an area which outside of the current housing boom has not appreciated more than 2-3% per year. Within the next few years, it was going to need a new A/C, furnace, and roof. Knowing that, would you still have kept it?

I've been looking at potential franchise opportunities as well as real estate related opportunities (appraisal, inspections, etc) which might be interesting post military retirement.

@nick220 if it cash flows yes i would of still, because cash flow is much better then any gains now unless you find a better cash flowing asset then yeah sell it. yeah doing inspections etc would be good idea

@nick220 Wow, quite impressive! Seems to me like investing makes the most sense given that most other avenues have been covered. Make sure to pay your taxes on the gains and keep some cash for an emergency fund in case that's not already covered by your other investment balance.

@nick220 Beef up that taxable account. If you don’t already have a trust spend 2k on a living trust, pour over and living wills, healthcare and financial power of attorneys. You’re crushing it, well done!

@hrr16 That's not a bad idea. I'll have to take a look at what I have for all of that so far. I know at one point we had living wills, and PoAs, but it might have only been valid for the deployment.