What to do with 100K I will very likely need at some point in the next 12 months for a home deposit?

river__raine

I had around 100K invested in tech stocks and ETF's (mainly VGT) and decided to sell because I'm house hunting and will use the money as part of the downpayment when I find one. Tech stocks are a bit volatile - and the market was at a good point so I decided it best to reduce my risk.

The cash is sitting in a online brokerage account not doing anything. Wondering whether there's a smart and relatively simple way to make the money work for me up to the point when I find the property (knowing that I might find it tomorrow or in 10 months time)

Thank you! This is an awesome subreddit and happy to have discovered it!

@ninjax Keep in mind that some or most savings accounts have withdrawal limits, either about quantity or time - except you use the bank where you have it for the morgage, then they are happy to dissolve your savings account instantly and transform it into a morgage.

@river__raine I don't agree with fixed term deposit suggested here - your capital is locked for 12mt, so if you find something in 6 months you're out of luck. You could put it in a neobank. Radicant offers 1.25% interest (will change as interest rates drop) and there's no withdrawal limit.

@river__raine Savings account at Raiffeisen pays for example 1.1% but per quarter you can only withdraw 20k. So, maybe 5 of these with different banks? But not sure if it is worth 1.1k in terms of time and hussle. maybe fixed bond pays less but provides more ease.

YUH pays 1% on your CHF, just put it there and pay the 100 chf for convenience not to open 5 accounts

@bethelight I believe so: "1 Die Zinsen sind kumulierbar, d.h. sie werden für jede Währung (CHF, EUR oder USD) separat berechnet. Die Berechnung der Zinsen wird anteilsmässig auf 365 Tage gerechnet. Die Auszahlung der Zinsen erfolgt jedes Jahr am 31. Dezember. Gültig ab dem 1. Oktober 2023.

2 Wir behalten uns das Recht vor, die geltenden Zinssätze zu ändern. Abhängig von der Höhe des Guthabens kann ein negativer Zinssatz (Gebühr) berechnet werden. Die gültigen Konditionen können jederzeit angefordert werden."

https://www.yuh.com/de/pricing/ "Sparen"