What is the minimum salary needed such that it’s economical for a parent to keep working and use childcare rather than stay home

@hurricane175 My earliest memories are of being SO upset and stressed every time my mother would drop me off at daycare. I must of been around 2.5 a 3. Her and my father split so she had no choice. I remember crying for hours on end begging to stay home. I was always thinking that she was going to die. It was pretty traumatising. Now I’m a super anxious person 🤷Could be for many other reasons, but yeah I don’t think was a great thing for me.

@hurricane175 This makes sense from an attachment point of view, but there might be other factors influencing this outcome. Obviously it wouldn't be able to be an RCT, so you'd hope they considered things like household income, 2 parent household etc. Single parents and low income households might be more likely to put their child into childcare at a younger age, and the child's ability to deal with stress might be more related to an insecure attachment due to their parent being stressed or busy at home. I'd be curious to know from an epigenetics point of view too whether financial or other stresses during pregnancy influenced how these young children respond to stressors. Obviously I haven't read the study you're referencing and these points might have all been addressed.

@vall3y Epigenetics is quite interesting from that standpoint. A lot of our ancestors lived through some really tough times, uprooted and immigrated to a new world, often times without much family, and then raised their own family in this new world. The distance from cultural norma and community would have no doubt had an effect on their children. Those children then grow into adults and raise their kids similarly, often passing down the same stresses.

We are all just trying to do our best given the circumstances of our history, but we are failing as a society to get back to where we once thrived as a community. This is why we need more government support to keep kids at home and allow parents to parent. We’d all be better off for it. Given that the majority of ED admissions in Australia are due to chronic disease, which has been theorised to be correlating with childhood trauma with pretty concrete data (ACE studies), there is little doubt that investing in child rearing policies will have a knock on effect for chronic disease burden later in life, freeing up the public health system and keeping people working longer. It’s insane that we don’t focus more on this issue from a political standpoint.

This would certainly help to kerb some of the on-flow of negative epigenetic traits. We need to get away from plugging holes in the system, be proactive, and start addressing child rearing policy.

@hurricane175 Ah yes, state sponsored industrialized child rearing is the correct approach for a well developed hypothalamic pituitary adrenal axis.

Not that silly old "community" and "family" nonsense.