What is a good non-passive investment ROI for you?

gyrelyre

I'm more of a boglehead, so for passive income investments (i.e. etfs, real estate, etc.) anything above 7-8% in annual returns is already good news for me. I wanted to further diversify and look for bigger returns so I started looking into businesses to start. I've always been curious about coin laundries so I looked into a franchise website for research. The site "boasts" an estimated ROI of 10%. Even pretending that 10% is a good approximation and not sales talk, is 10% ROI really something to advertise? Why engage in a business and spend your own time(maybe semi-full time?) that gives you back only 3-4% higher returns than investing in the market? Not to mention your startup costs are very high (They estimated 40-50 million yen total)

I don't know if you can make an argument that it will have more consistent returns than an ETF in a short span since it would also be affected by market forces and the 10% could also be a 5% or negative on some years.

So in Japan, do you think an ROI of 10% for a non-fully passive business a good approximation of what to expect?

@bluesky2023 How about "diversifying my ROI rates?" LOL. I understand what you are saying though I wouldn't say its the opposite. I may be investing equally on the US, Developed, developing, Japan, and then the very local neighborhood market (my business), and that would be more diversified than if I did not go into business.

@gyrelyre If you put say 25% of your investment into one shop rather than the world market it is definitely the opposite of diversifying. But yeah, it could diversify your rate of return significantly in either direction.

@gyrelyre I think you need to look at risk adjusted returns (RAR) rather than ROI in isolation. A 10% ROI can come with its own set of different risks and may not be directly comparable against another avenue giving 8% returns but at significantly lower risks (irrespective of passive vs active). As others have pointed out, with leverage you can get higher ROEs at the same ROI, and ROE is what will drive money in your pocket.

For coin laundries, it mostly makes sense only when coupled with tax avoidance strategies, where one can reduce tax at high marginal rates and channel that money into business such as coin laundry. In these cases even with low RAR, the investment might still work out better compared against the scenario of paying taxes at high marginal rate and investing the remainder in high RAR (e.g. ETF with ~8% returns).

Most of the investment heavy businesses (where manual labor input does not create a big differentiation or value add), tend to be single digit returns (personally I have seen a wide range of 3-8%). However areas such as real estate can provide temporary inefficient markets, where you could potentially find somewhat higher ROI opportunities by being active full time and seeking them out. For example I have heard stories about people buying old apartments, renovating, renting out and flipping for a return in the teens (although I doubt this is something one can consistently do). But this will be against the diversification that you want and pretty much becomes a full time business.

@gyrelyre Active consume free time, a rare commodity that I would rather keep.

Significant returns would need a high % of my savings to really make a difference in outcome, so stress generated would be high.

It is not realistic as a strategy for me, except for fun in negligible quantities.

If I were in a position to massively invest actively in high risk venture, I'd probably try to run my own company. But this is not the life path I choose.