mountainpine

Hello, I live in New York. I'm currently on the Essential plan, which is a $0 monthly premium with Dental and Vision from the New York State of Health marketplace. My new job offers Health Insurance, so I can no longer be on the Essential plan. I can't believe the High Deductible Plan is $494.8 a week, and X-Rays, Emergency Room, Ambulance, etc. aren't covered under the Basic Medical Plan. I already pay for Dental and Vision benefits separately because I don't like the Dental and Vision benefits from the Essential plan. I might switch to their Vision plan because it's the same as mine, but cheaper. What do I do?

@mountainpine Are you saying that premiums for your health insurance are approximately $26,000 per year - that is over $2000 a month and that is excessively high for an employer plan - the most expensive Platinum Plans PPO for someone over 61 are $2000 a month on the marketplace - not suggesting that but just emphasizing the high premiums.

Are you sure that is your premium?

If so, it might not be affordable if it is more than 9.8% of your income. If it isn't "affordable" then you could potentially purchase a plan through the marketplace with a premium subsidy.

@erin30ga No, that’s crazier. I’m not sure if the High Deductible Plan is $123 per week or per month, but I know I’m going to be paid weekly and all of the other premiums in the booklet are weekly. It’s about $500 a month. I can’t buy into the Basic plan because I’d have to file for medical bankruptcy. I know the agency is taking advantage of me.

@mountainpine You posted that the premium was $498 per WEEK. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

If you want advice, you need to provide accurate information. Consult your HR Department if you don’t understand what you would pay.

The insurance may or may not be affordable based on your income and the actual premiums. It also has to be be compliant with AHCA or you might be able to purchase in your state’s marketplace.