WealthSimple: Am I doing something wrong, or is this roboadviser not that good?

dexter234

Over the course of the last 4 years I've put 20k into a wealthsimple TFSA. It was up by $100 - $200 at first, but over the past three years its habitually been between -5% to -10% performance. When the market was down it made sense, but I see YoY the S&P is up ~5%, yet my WS is still down 7%. Is it just a timing thing? Is WS that bad? Should I look at moving my investments?

@davidcn These last 3-4 years really killed the notion of low risk (bonds/gold) to high risk (equities). I know so many young people that went low risk (new to investing, a little bit scared and didn't understand how it works) and got wrecked when at their age they should've went full equities (the notion of high risk was intimidating)

@p1saint Yeah it’s really sad to see. Now many of these new investors will switch to GICs and fixed income, which is terrible in the long run.

@davidcn Yeah, sometimes I feel like finance and investing is purposefully made confusing to the average person so the big guys can profit and dump on retail.

@p1saint 100% agree. Im in my 30s and it seems the average person i talk to falls into very common pitfalls, like high mer bank programs. They just want to be able to tell people they are investing but are not outcome oriented.