Was I wrongfully denied renters insurance claim. Experienced advice appreciated.

I have RENTERS INSURANCE through assurance/geico/American bankers/ whatever they call themselves and have for over 10 years. I always ask to have all the coverage and add ons possible when I renew & am told I do. I had a situation with an ex boyfriend who was psycho and abusive and whom I did live with in the past, but moved into the home this is related to after we split to get away. He showed up at my home with a piece of mail he had the hospital print after giving them my address, making it appear he lived here (but never had, never was on the lease, wasn’t invited, had nothing inside) and started destroying everything my son and I own. Anything he wasn’t destroying, he was stealing and loading into his mom’s car. I immediately called the cops when he arrived and barged into my front door, but the cops literally wouldn’t do anything because of his mail and claimed this was a “civil matter”. They watched for hours as he destroyed everything I worked hard for, or of sentimental value. They literally watched him pry the last bag I was able to collect of what I tried to keep him from taking from my hands as I cried and screamed and all in front of my 12 year old son. They also wouldn’t give me a police report, or trespass him bc “it was a civil matter.” The next day, I filed a claim thinking at least I could replace a lot of the things that were broken/stolen. I filed for vandalism. They asked for a police report and I explained what happened and they denied my claim saying civil matters aren’t covered. My thing is:

1.) I do not believe the officer was correct when deeming this a civil matter bc he did so based on incorrect information falsely provided by my ex. However… even if it was a civil matter- they have still been unable to show me or tell me where in my policy it states civil matters aren’t covered because I do not find anything regarding civil matters anywhere.

2.) Vandalism which is what I filed the loss as and what it was (along with theft) are both covered perils under my policy.

3.) I thought even if things were destroyed or stolen from someone either in, or outside of, the home whether on purpose, or accident, it covers your personal belonging as long as they are with you.

Prior to this happening my ex had been arrested for criminal mischief at my same address (proving he didn’t live there) and after this all happened he tried the same thing again and kicked in my front door two different times and I was able to be granted a no trespass order on him (again showing he didn’t live there) which I feel both help validate the fact it wasn’t a civil matter and I should’ve been given a police report to go with my claim.

Anyone with professional experience that doesn’t mind taking a moment to tell me their thoughts on this would be really appreciated. I believe I was wrongfully denied. I did appeal this denial as well.

Thanks

@n%E2%82%ACm%E2%82%ACsis Thank you it was a really hard time for both of us. I hated my son seeing that and it was very emotionally difficult for me too. And on my birthday. He is a bad person and I made a mistake when I fell for him years prior. Master manipulator, narcissistic, I am so glad I got away from him but for a while thought that I may never be able to even though I was trying to. Thank you for taking the time to say that and to ackowledge the painful experience it really was for us both.