Voluntary repo from J.D. Byrider

chappy2u

Hello, I bought a car from J.D. Byrider back in 2019. Absolutely horrible mistake. I've been making my payments on them plenty fine, but I've also sunk a lot of money into this car fixing stupid random shit.

Well with the last like 4 - 5 months, I've had to take my cat to the vet plenty, I'm behind on a couple other bills because I had to take work off after two separate injuries, as well as my house furnace going out in December. On top of all this, my car blew up in mid November. I have an about 25 min commute at 1am. It was extremely hard to find rides to my job considering the shift time as I constantly had to offer people basically double the gas money for them to even consider it. But I was able to make enough money for another down payment at an actual dealership with a really good car.

My old car has set at walmart for a bit (surprisingly) untowed, as I don't even have the money to tow it to my house. I just cleaned it up and put the keys in the glove box. I'm ready to call them and ask them to take it back.

On the other hand, I only owe them 2.3k. I will even pay it off later if it goes to collections. But I seriously cannot afford this with another car as the late fees are swamping me with everything as I'm always only a little behind. I know this will hurt my credit and I will bite that bullet. But do you think they'll understand (not saying I'll get off the hook with the money) with the situation at hand if I explain this to them?

@chappy2u I would not risk the hit to your credit, collections and the repo on your court records. Repos here in WI they have to sue you in court. Not sure how that works for you. Could you work with the dealership to take it as trade? I have heard of people rolling that debt into something else.

@chappy2u What I meant is that some dealerships, like the one you are working with might be able to roll the 2.3K into the vehicle you are looking to buy so you can pay off the clunker and not take the hit.

@chappy2u Sorry miss read your post. I thought you were currently buying another car. Not already acquired one. I guess with that info the worst you can do is call JD and explain the situation as you said and see what they can do. Maybe they can buy it back from you or something.

@jamieredhead That's what I'm saying, I know it'll hit my credit. But I honestly don't need credit rn. I have a house and a good car after this. I'm just trying to catch back up before I splurge into anything that's a heap of junk essentially.

@chappy2u So to be clear, right now you can't afford to pay JD Byrider at all with your new car payments and mortgage, etc?

Seems like the best case for you to avoid damaging your credit (which you absolutely will care about in the future) would be to get a short term loan or line of credit that would allow you to pay off the car outright and tow it to their lot, and then make monthly payments on that debt.