@hsrl Yeah some of the top clubs like Silo District in Cape Town and Melrose Arch as you mentioned, are Collection clubs which have crazy prices but usually have the most amenities and latest equipment with a huge variety.

But even amongst normal clubs there is a big difference in what each club offers, which justifies price differences. Waterstone Village for instance is a easily double the size of The Sanctuary where I go, has better equipment, plus it has a pool, so it makes sense why the price would be higher.

@tamlamc I don’t recommend getting the watch through discovery - an SE/ watch 9 range from 6.5K - 9k the contract period of the Apple Watch is 2 years which seems like a long time to continuously meet your health goals

Eg. As someone who travels a lot I don’t always have time to go to the gym to close my health ring which would result in you being penalised = paying in 200-400 towards your watch. IMO it’s something you can pay off independently. I got mine on bash 6 months interest free

Discovery vitality is worth it for me but I use all the benefits, insure money/ bank and health

I get anywhere between 200-700 cash back for keeping up a healthy lifestyle for all the above

Switched to shopping exclusively at pick n pay + woolies to get extra points

Buy toiletries at Dischem + clicks

Petrol at bp + shell (my insurance is also discovery)

Gym at VA 5-6 x a week

Watch movies at 50% off which can be a nice item

Buy gym wear at 50% off

Get 40% off flights which is a big saver

But I get cash back for all the above + save on all of the above

@mnyg25 Don’t you think it’s still cheaper to get the watch through discovery even if you going to the gym 3 quarters of the time and paying for the watch when you are on holiday. Eg. If you go on holiday 2 months in the year over then over a 2 year period you would’ve only spent R1600 for the watch through discovery as compared to the full price of 6.5k-9k.

@odile I hear you but you still pay a R1500 activation fee and then still have to counter tot the months where you'll have to pay in + months where you're sick

And the more you exercise the more your weekly ring goal goes up So they kinda make it difficult for you to maintain that goal .

It just seems like a hectic thing to keep up for 2 years when you can be done with it in 6 months but again depends on your patience / ability to maintain the goals & your pocket

@tamlamc Vitality Active is not a viable option for you if you want to keep going to 2 clubs. The benefit is only for 1 club. You will need to get the regular vitality if you want to keep all-access

@tamlamc I pay 450 for vitality( it's for 2 people), my gym membership at a virgin active health club comes to R189 a month. I get a discount on my life insurances and also cashback when I buy from woolworths or Pick and pay. And that's me making minimum use of it because I've become lazy😅

@tamlamc Stick to Virgin Active, the other gyms in cape town don’t come close, don’t waste your time. The national membership with vitality is R720, this allows you to gym anywhere except Silo VA, this is what I have, very convenient, I can gym, shower/freshen up etc in whatever area I find myself in. If you stick to one virgin active club you can pay as low as R215 with vitality depending on the gym, when I worked from home with minimal days in office I didn’t have any issues only using one gym. I spend a lot of time at gym so for me the national membership is the preferred option, I like variety.

Pro tip - Once you’ve joined, DM Virgin active on twitter to upgrade or downgrade your membership. Quick and efficient. They just need your ID number. I’ve upgraded and downgraded my membership on numerous occasions over the last two years depending on my WFH situation. Zero issues.

@tamlamc I was in this same situation and it didn't make sense to me. Vitality +max discount at virgin active still comes to about the cost of a straight VA contract. You maybe save R100 a month.
I went with Sanlam Reality and Planet Fitness Black Tag. 80% discount. I pay about R450 in total to get access to Planet fitness for myself, wife and kids and get 20% off Ubers which we use regularly.

@tamlamc Poor client relationships, after signing up you're just a stat.
Poor billing, I've been debited twice, in some cases in was not returned.
I have a classic membership which is the only reason I've put up with them.