tamlamc

I’m looking to take out a virgin active gym membership and I’d like someone to recommend what the best option for me would be. For some context, I’m looking to take out a membership that will allow me to gym at two different clubs (one close to work and one near my home). Furthermore, I do play quite a bit of padel so the 20% discount would come in handy as well but that’s as far as what I’d go in terms of using the vitality card. My mom however does shop quite a bit so perhaps all the points could be useful as well. I’m also looking at the Apple Watch that you can get via discovery.

@tamlamc Do yourself a favour and check what the cost of vitality plus your gym membership will be compared to just your gym membership.

You really need to use all the vitality benefits to get any benefit and you probably need to pile on a couple other discovery products

@ntsloan I took out medical aid via discovery this past month as well that’ll be in effect from April. I’m also looking to get a Discovery Bank Credit Card in order to build my credit score.

@tamlamc It’s a good start but you’ll likely need to get an account at another bank anyway if you want to take out home/car loans. What city are you in as well? There are better gyms than virgin nowadays

@ntsloan Cape Town. Recently started my first job so I won’t have to worry about much expenses for a while as I still live at home. In terms of a car loan, my dad is willing to pay for it cash and have me repay him each month. As to avoid any ridiculous interest.

@tamlamc If you’re in southern suburbs then ignite fitness is really nice. There is one in Somerset as well that’s not bad. Planet fitness is pretty underwhelming in cpt. I have a vendetta against virgin for their poor maintenance and scummy pricing models so just look around

You probably don’t need a good credit score right now so you’re fine with your current plan. Again the discovery suite is quite good and I use it but they don’t offer any financing for other stuff.

If you just started your first job, try look into some savings/investment options. I personally started with an RA with discovery that does ok (you could probably find a better fund) and that will boost your credit if it’s on debit order. Also consider a tax free savings that you can put some money away.

If you can justify the vitality then sure, remember it has its own fee (300 pm I believe) but do some research on gyms just for your own enjoyment

@ntsloan Will definitely look into some saving options. I earn around net R19k after any work related deductions and expenses. I’ll most likely only be paying for vitality and the gym membership with that. Besides that I hardly spend too often. I’d say around R3k max for any essentials. So I have quite a bit that I could invest (well for me at least 😅).

But thank you for all the advice. Will definitely be taking it into consideration. Much appreciated.

@ntsloan Do not go to ignite fitness, that place is going under. I was a member for 2 years, night and day difference to VA. And the ignite in Claremont hasn’t had working hot water for the past year. But don’t take my word for it, read the Google/Hellopeter reviews.

Also Vitality Active is worth the money but you can only go to a single club. It decreases membership fees down to about R300.

@triumph1 Fair enough, when I went to visit it was pretty nice. Granted I live in joburg and our planet fitnesses are all really nice and we have body action as well

Ps it decreases your membership down to 300 but it costs 300 pm anyway

@hsrl I did hear of this news last year and would consider using it if they offered a competitive enough interest rate. Though, and I do bank with discovery and other banks, I still would rather trust my loan with a different institution for the time being.

@ntsloan Yeah same. I’ll get a quote for sure. But if they beat my current interest rate, and all the fees don’t erode the savings, I’d seriously consider switching.

If the maths math, I can’t see a reason not to switch if there are savings to be had.

@hsrl The thing is I can’t say I’ve been around for the addition of many banks in my life time. It feels like I can’t even trace back when capitec started. So I don’t know if I should immediately trust a new bank at handling my large assets. If you can find a way to get into a truly private bank like Investec then I’d much rather advise that since you don’t need to be a millionaire to be a member but you’ll save much more than the expensive bank fees just on the sub prime interest rates. That being said, I dont want to be ignorant of the privilege I was afforded and understand that it is often not attainable.

Though, if OP is earning 20k about a month and only supporting themselves then they are already well within the top 20% of the country. So hopefully by the time they want a home or car loan they can afford to do the same

@tamlamc So if you are a Discovery Vitality member you get 75% off your Virgin Active fee, provided you visit the gym 36 times in a rolling 12 month period.

If you want to visit 2 different clubs you’ll have to take out the more expensive national contract. If you just take a basic plan and commit to one club you’ll pay R274pm.

Extra tip: if you download the VA App and visit the gym twice per week for at least 30 mins you get a Kauai small smoothie every week and if you nail a 4 week streak you get R50 cash. So 4x R56 smoothies + R50 cash and you basically gym for fee.

@hsrl Not necessarily R273 if you only go to one club, I imagine you are basing that off of the club you go to. I pay about R153 a month on Vitality at The Sanctuary VA, Waterstone Village a little further from me is about R100 a month more. The monthly VA fee on Vitality is going to differ depending on which branches you go to.

@richard_believer Interesting! I didn’t know there was a different fee for each club!

I know they have a couple of those super exclusive ones in Melrose Arch and a couple others that are more expensive, but didn’t know normal clubs also had different prices.

Thanks for the info!