(Vent Incoming) My wife and I are both about to lose our jobs. More anger than despair

ryushin

I was just told that after March, no one at my job is guaranteed employment, but given the option to go to our competitor (which i worked at for 6 years before getting so fed up, i quit) for a $2+ p/h pay cut, with no other business within a 2 hour drive, doing the same work. My wife was the property manager for the housing community we live in, which gave us the benefit of no rent cost in the place we live in. They just told her, a week before the due date, that her job will supposedly be done by the property owner, and we have to start paying rent. We have a 13 year old son. My wife is taking online classes for medical billing/coding/reimbursement and is physically disabled. I'm the only one who can feasibly work, and despite the promises I was made by my employer (which I've been with for a year) It doesn't seem like me or my fellow employees (45-50 of us) are going to have a job in 2 months. This, on top of a tripling electric bill, has got us completely beside ourselves. I'm just so fcking mad about being lied to, about greedy MFs who have the luxury of making poor people pay so they can maintain their lifestyle, about being told i make too much money to qualify for assistance, about my wife being denied disability when we personally know people who are far more capable of working, getting disability, when she wants to work, but can't (until she finishes school and can get an online, at-home job). I'm going to channel my anger towards something productive, but right now, I'm so goddmned mad i can't see straight. If you made it to the end of my rant, thank you for reading.

@ryushin Well at least the bright side is you have time to figure out your next move.

Even if you take that pay cut at the competitor, it’ll at least buy you and your wife some time to find a better job and finish her medical billing and coding education.

There are tough times ahead for everyone

@ryushin I’m starting to see more and more posts like this unfortunately, and it is very concerning. Hang in there OP hopefully you will find a way to make this work.

@tiktok It's only going to get worse and as companies axe 10,0000+ people at a time that anger is going to go somewhere.

Not justifying the recent shootings but if you lose 100,000 jobs that leads to a lot of desperation, anger, and if even 1% of the people think of it revenge.

This is the calm before the storm and it should absolutely terrify people. Meanwhile the government is beyond inept, waste billions of dollars, and enact stupid policies that don't help people while lining the pockets of corporations.

6 months ago I was joking with friends about either surviving last year or going killdozer. Now it's either go killdozer, pull off some kind of hail mary, or just lose everything.

@jhayquel Nah. A lot of "right sizing" leaves employees understaffed in the name of profit.

Very little job elimination is really due to over-hiring, mostly it's corporate greed even when they're making record profits

@tiktok Thnk you. We will. I'm so grateful that my wife decided to go to school when she did, and that i have a skill that can be put to use outside of a 9-5 job. I feel like I'm in denial right now, because I'm more angry than worried about how we are going to make it.

@jannyw4011 I'm just a random person who found this thread through the search function but I want to thank you so much for posting that site. I had no idea these positions were even available (and I live in a complex with a manager that gets room covered, not sure how I didn't think to look into it.).

@ryushin Take that anger, turn it into determination and let it propel you in a positive way towards your future. You got this, can't wait to hear your follow up success story!

She was going graduate in less than a month but decided to go for her bachelor's, so now she has basically another year to go, but she's already putting in applications. She says she can handle work and school if it comes down to it, but there's no telling how long it will take for her to actually land a job. Fortunately, it's almost tax time, so we will have a chunk of money coming from that.

@grace4us Someone from her school just made that same suggestion, which she wasn't aware of. She's already put in some applications. I worry a little about her working and doing school at the same time, but we may have no choice, at least for a while.

@ryushin If there are any insurance companies in your general area or nearby city apply or both of you apply. Many insurance companies pay well and will train you to their specific needs. They will have remotes jobs such as underwriter, claims adjuster, etc. Source: worked in an insurance company for 20+ years.

@wholehalfmom Thank you. I trust that it will, but we're just stressed out over being thrown 2 huge curveballs at once, after things going so relatively well. It's easy to get falsely comfortable with the notion that if you work hard and make the best decisions you can, that everything else will fall neatly into place.