USAA water damage claim

ajest001

Had my entire finished basement (3 bedrooms, a bathroom and a office) flood at the beginning of the month. We have an ejector pump that failed due to overheating per the plumber we called out. The toilet was constantly running and it overwhelemd the pump. I called USAA to confirm coverage before doing anything and was advised that since it was an ejector pump and not a sump pump, we were covered for our full policy amount and to contact a mitigation company since it was considered class 3 water. Theyve come and cut walls, pulled flooring and fixtures, thrown pretty much everything me 3 kids own into the trash and dried out the basement. Now my adjuster is trying to claim that this is a sump failure and so we are only covered for 10k in costs. After 15k in work by the mitigation co. I called the adjuster and told him hes wrong here by his own words we are covered.

Any words of advice. My kids have been on our couch for almost a month and i dont think we can afford an attorney.

@ajest001 I would suggest you go up the chain at USAA or hit a Public Adjuster.

Check with the mitigation company and see if they received anything in writing saying the work was approved before they started.

@ajest001 Document every communication with your insurance company moving forward, either communication via email or record all phone conversations! Call USAA Immediately request a full copy of your policy and read it to see if there is a distinction between sump pumps and ejection pump failure and coverages for both. Sump pump failures usually are covered for a limited amount of $$$. If your adjuster is a usaa employee escalate your concerns to a manager assuming ejection pump failure has only policy limits. If your adjuster was independent, meaning third party, call usaa and discuss with the desk adjuster. Get your kids comfy on the couch, this could take some time.